Poll: Steiermark Grand Prix 2020, Spielberg - Race 2/?

Rate the 2020 Austrian Grand Prix (2) out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Caporegime
I don't really understand the strategy. They put him on Mediums so he can run longer into the race, and then pit at the same time as the cars on softs? Only way that makes sense is if the Renault is really bad with its tyres, but in that case they'd have had to go onto hards. Just seems a poor choice.

Yeah. Or they knew the Renault was really good on its tyres. And could go med/soft and make most of it.

Still, they would have gotten landos spot maybe had they let Riccardo overtake ocon when he first was there.

Blunders this race.

Caporegime
Vettel vs albon. I’d take vettel. Albon lacks speed and awareness.

Given Vettel's blunders of late, I'm not I'd credit him with awareness. But, yes, Vettel is the better driver however, whereas Vettel seems to be getting worse all the time lately, will demand a high salary, and has a history of conflict when confronted with a more capable teammate. Albon, on the other hand, is still cheap for a driver, is likely to improve season-on-season, and seems to be a positive asset to the team in terms of team coherence and publicity.

I'm not convinced Albon is actually better than Gasly - judging from Drive To Survive, Red Bull treated Gasly pretty badly - but I think Red Bull will stick with him.

Caporegime
Given Vettel's blunders of late, I'm not I'd credit him with awareness. But, yes, Vettel is the better driver however, whereas Vettel seems to be getting worse all the time lately, will demand a high salary, and has a history of conflict when confronted with a more capable teammate. Albon, on the other hand, is still cheap for a driver, is likely to improve season-on-season, and seems to be a positive asset to the team in terms of team coherence and publicity.

I'm not convinced Albon is actually better than Gasly - judging from Drive To Survive, Red Bull treated Gasly pretty badly - but I think Red Bull will stick with him.
Now you can’t take the program too truthfully, stuff can be edited to paint just about any picture you want, but the incredible difference between what Red Bull were saying to the press and media compared to what they were telling him behind the scenes always stuck in my mind. I always took what Horner said with a pinch of salt previously, now I hardly believe a word he says. I suspect if another team came to Gasly and said they wanted him he’d be off like a shot. That place is Toxic.

Soldato
Rumours abound that RB boss wants Vettel back.

I can't see RB sticking with Albon if he doesn't start mixing it up a bit more.

I'd actually like to see Vettel back in a RB I think he might just get his mojo back.

I suppose the question with this is what message it sends to the RBJT.

I personally have never rated Vettel. I think he has had his day, but by the same token I suppose returning to RBR would be like returning home. Really can't see him playing 2nd fiddle to Max but perhaps thats what he wants - low pressure wing man stuff.

Soldato
Let's be honest, redbulls problems are much more significant than a second driver.

They need a car that can win.

Max is good enough to show that a lot more than a new driver is needed. At least Albon doesn't crash into Max.

Soldato

I personally have never rated Vettel. I think he has had his day, but by the same token I suppose returning to RBR would be like returning home. Really can't see him playing 2nd fiddle to Max but perhaps thats what he wants - low pressure wing man stuff.
He wouldn't have to agree to play second fiddle, he'd be slower by default but quick enough to match Bottas unlike Albon.

Caporegime

They’ve tried both Kyvat and Gasly and both have failed. Alex is closer but not on Max’s level. Honestly very few drivers are. RB now face a conundrum. Keep with Alex or try someone new. Like Sebastian who is clearly still very well regarded at RB.

Caporegime
They’ve tried both Kyvat and Gasly and both have failed.

Kvyat didn't fail. He did brilliantly at Red Bull and they ditched him anyway. He narrowly beat Ricciardo in his first season at Red Bull (95-92), and had picked up their best result of the season in China in 2016. Since he was booted, he hasn't done so well. He didn't seem to recover from being dropped in '16 and '17, and after a decent start in '19 his head dropped again after Red Bull picked Albon over him (despite his better results) and they basically said he'd never be promoted. But his record at Red Bull was really good.

Caporegime
Kvyat didn't fail. He did brilliantly at Red Bull and they ditched him anyway. He narrowly beat Ricciardo in his first season at Red Bull (95-92), and had picked up their best result of the season in China in 2016. Since he was booted, he hasn't done so well. He didn't seem to recover from being dropped in '16 and '17, and after a decent start in '19 his head dropped again after Red Bull picked Albon over him (despite his better results) and they basically said he'd never be promoted. But his record at Red Bull was really good.
Ok, he was doing moderately well and admittedly was unlucky to get swapped mid season with Max, but since then I’d say he’s been pretty mediocre. RB know what both Kyvat and Gasly can offer. If Alex also fails to impress, what then?

Caporegime
For a driver who won his first race and is now one of the best on the grid.

There's no doubting Max's brilliance. Although it wasn't until his third season that he managed what Kvyat managed in his first - beating Ricciardo. Crashtappen thankfully seems to be a thing of the past now but he was pretty ropey to start with.

Tactical and managerial master stroke if you ask me. Elite sport isn’t about people’s feelings, it’s about winning.

One can agree that bringing Max in was justified whilst also thinking that the way Kvyat was treated was rough. As for this guff about "isn't about people's feelings"; successful teams almost universally support and care for their members. It's no coincidence that Mercedes - who seem to have one of the most positive and supportive team structures - have been dominating the sport of late; or that Gasly returned to form after returning to the more supportive atmosphere of Toro Rosso. This reality that people and their emotions matter is why Sports Psychologists are so vital in getting the very best out of top sportsstars.

Associate
I wouldnt write off Albon just yet, he has had a poor start to this season but I think he did very well last season since he got promoted.

I'm a bit biased to red bull and I really dont want vettel back, just dont see it working and his driving is going down the pan fast.

But that does bring a problem, if not Albon then who.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Poll added :)

Apart from the final lap and the lolFerrari moment, it was boring.

Soldato
Apart from the final lap and the lolFerrari moment, it was boring.

Did you miss Perez? He, Stroll, Ricciardo, and Norris provided a lot of entertainment throughout the race, not just on the final lap. In particular there was Perez' overtaking of Stroll which went on for several corners and provided a model of how to do it without taking out your teammate.

Back
Top Bottom