Stereo amp update - Network stereo amp wanted!

Associate
Hi guys,

I currently listen to TIDAL (I pay for the HiFi version) through the following:

- Denon RCD-M39DAB
- Wharfedale Diamond 220's
- Chromecast audio using digital out

I'm looking to upgrade to a more powerful amp with the ability to stream built in. I don't use any music files and stream everything - I also don't want to risk second hand. I'm looking at the following amps (currently leaning towards the Yamaha):

- Yamaha RN602 (but I wonder if there is any difference between getting this or the RN303D)
- Marantz NR1200
- Denon DRA800H

I'm not really looking to spend more than £500 but would consider saving more if the improvement warrants it. In the distant future I may be moving houses and will want to buy floorstanding speakers, so need the amp to have some umph! Any experience shares with these amps would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Associate
In a similar boat as you. Exclusively use tidal on an old Denon Micro but with an external Bluetooth receiver, looking to upgrade, but to another mini.

Arcam Solo Uno and NAD D3020 V2 are top of the list so far.

I'm surprised there aren't more amplifier/network streamers on the market.

Last edited:
Associate
I have, it also looks to fit the bill nicely, would really like to hear all 3 before picking, but obvs unlikely in the current climate.

I keep changing my mind on network streamers Vs Bluetooth. I gather the sound quality can be better through lossless formats supported over WiFi and like the idea that you don't have to have your phone nearby all the time.

However as I tend to keep my equipment for a long time, I'm concerned older hardware will become unsupported leaving the unit redundant, or falling back to Bluetooth connectivity anyway - appears to be the case with the NAD D7050 and Spotify for instance and that's still a current model.

Associate
The Node 2i is highly rated streamer.. I have one and its been very easy to use.

It does cost a fair bit though (£499) and I have been toying with the idea of putting together a Raspberry Pi streamer, which would be a fraction of the cost and apparently the quality would be good depending on the add-ons you buy.

Might be something worth considering?

EDIT - You actually asked for an Amp rather than a streamer, so the above may not apply. Although you could just add this to the amp you like.

Back
Top Bottom