Sticky rubbers, how do you solve this problem?

Soldato
Doesn't soaking stuff in white wine and then sticking it in the freezer sort most things out? Chuck some rice in with it too just in case. :p

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
Hold the thoughts guys.... I updated the amp's firmware today as it was on an old one and now the rmeote won't work and there's a strong chance there's no way to install an older one so I may actually be royally stuffed :/

Soldato
I have this problem with my joystick because I havent used it in years so its gone all sticky on the surface. Scratched some off but might try the bicarb suggestion.

And genuinely, I got it out for the new FS lol.
My MS FF2 was like that so i stripped the top part and cleaned it with TFR (Traffic Film Remover) looks & feels like new now :)

Caporegime
Hold the thoughts guys.... I updated the amp's firmware today as it was on an old one and now the rmeote won't work and there's a strong chance there's no way to install an older one so I may actually be royally stuffed :/
I thought you were going to say you updated the amps firmware and now the stickyness is gone. :p

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
Don't be silly that would be ridiculous :p

I phoned up Sevenoaks who seem to be super friendly chaps. Gotta get down there soon to show them the issues and hopefully get a replacement :cool:

Soldato
I electroplate all my electrical rubber consumer goods in palladium, easy to polish then and also allows me to point out to anyone that uses them that I am considerably richer than them....................................

Commissario
I electroplate all my electrical rubber consumer goods in palladium, easy to polish then and also allows me to point out to anyone that uses them that I am considerably richer than them....................................
Just make sure you don't make a mistake when ordering the stuff and accidentally plate it in Polonium.

We've all blamed Putin for years for poisoning Litvinenko but in reality someone at the tea shop probably ordered the wrong plating for the teaspoon he used when they hit o as they typed P.

Soldato
99% Isopropyl Alcohol, j-cloths and elbow grease. Apply it to the cloth, then wipe that onto the sticky rubber. Don't oversoak the cloth. Apply it like you would danish oil or woodstain - small amounts and rub. Keep going. The sticky crud will clog up on the cloth so keep rotating and disposing. I cut the J-cloth into 8 to give smaller pieces that are easier to work with, and discard once there's no clean surface area left on them. Oh and wear washing up gloves and a solvent mask, that stuff gets unpleasant after a while.

This method brought the horrendous bitfenix survivor back into the sensible regime from so sticky it had become perma-covered in fluff, hair and dust. It was so sticky to touch it was like when the honey runs down the side of the jar. I actually had to wash my hands after moving the case.

Remember all those ads of the time "Bitfenix innovation, pioneering soft-touch" etc etc. Chumps.

Soldato
After many years, rubber coatings on electronics tend to go sticky or lose their supple smoothness to the touch. I have looked around and tried a few DIY methods but cannot see a fix for this. So I am running to GD, how do I restore the smoothness or at least remove the sticky friction that becomes of rubbery coatings on devices like a remote control over time?

Example device:
JUZJQiA.jpg

Thanks!

Just ask NAD for the AMP-3 remote which is hard plastic and way better than this crappy thing.

Back
Top Bottom