Stock market tracker funds

Permabanned
OP
Many thanks for the replies so far and the background reading, much appreciated.

This may seem like a slightly strange question, but is there a fund/product that I can invest in that is tied to the economic growth of China?

Associate
Where are you buying VWRP with no fees? It is an ETF which I was under the impression always had a transaction fee. I'm not talking about the underlying fund fee just to be clear

I have a 212 account, and no fees on trading exchange traded securities, and no platform fee. It is closed to new users at the moment.
It is also available on FreeTrade.

There are pro's and cons with every broker/platform. These two make money from lending out your stocks behind the scenes, which are protected by collateral. FreeTrade also has a paywall to access more stocks as well.

Soldato
Caporegime
This may seem like a slightly strange question, but is there a fund/product that I can invest in that is tied to the economic growth of China?

Yes, there are funds, trusts and ETFs both focused specifically on China and broader emerging market ones that will have exposure to China.

Tbh thread that seems to be more for short term trading.

Yup, in fact if you go to the very start of the thread you'll see it was started by a guy who quit his job to pursue trading full time. Later on it started getting a bit of chat about longer-term investments etc.. too but it does seem like a good idea to separate the topics.

Soldato
I've got a couple of vanguard lifestrategy trackers with Hargreaves and landsdown (100% equities for me, 80% for the kids) in a stocks and shares isa.

Their fees are a bit higher than others (e.g. Vanguard's own platform), but I like H&L's website and they also have way more funds if you want to invest in other funds that other platforms don't have (i.e Vanguard only offer Vanguard products)

Soldato
I've got a couple of vanguard lifestrategy trackers with Hargreaves and landsdown (100% equities for me, 80% for the kids) in a stocks and shares isa.

Their fees are a bit higher than others (e.g. Vanguard's own platform), but I like H&L's website and they also have way more funds if you want to invest in other funds that other platforms don't have (i.e Vanguard only offer Vanguard products)
If they have junior ISAs I switched my daughter to fidelity as there are no fees other than the underlying fund.

Caporegime

That seems wrong.

The longer time you have the more should be in equities.

Kids therefore have their whole lives ahead of them unless it's to pay for uni.

Usually it goes like 100% equities. Then as you near the cash in date. You start lowering it to 80%, then 60% and so on until the last couple of years it's 100% bonds. Maybe 2-3 years between each switch.

The longer the cash will be locked away for the better it is to have 100% equities so for kids I'd say it should be 100% unless they are older and it's for uni.

My personal suggestion for trackers is S&P500. If it's good enough for Warren Buffet then people who don't know what they are doing should just be copying his advice. 10% bonds 90% s&p 500 and with vanguard. They have the lowest fees iirc.

Associate
Sign up to a free stock trading platform (there are a couple I know of in the UK) and then invest in whatever you want. Personally, I think the S&P 500 is a solid one. NASDAQ100 is good too but slightly more unstable.

Caporegime
Why ETFs for long-term holding? I don't get it. There are mutual funds with the same index tracking ability that are transaction-fee free?

Depends where you're buying them doesn't it?

There's no transaction fee when buying them on t212.

Etfs also tend to have lower on going charges than fubds

Soldato
Depends where you're buying them doesn't it?

There's no transaction fee when buying them on t212.

Etfs also tend to have lower on going charges than fubds
I'm not trusting my retirement pot to a fly by night app head quartered in the Ukraine who uses my data to manipulate the market :o

That's if you even 'own' the shares lol.

Soldato
My liquid portfolio is invested like this:

50% Equities (split as per previous post).
20% Gold
5% Silver
20% Crypto (18% BTC, 2% ETH, a few altcoins)
5% Cash

If I had held that portfolio and rebalanced monthly since Jan 2018, it sits here in a risk/return plot of all possible portfolios:

Yellow = best risk/return portfolios
Blue = worst risk/return
Grey circle = all portfolios that do not contain any crypto.

Best non-crypto portfolio is/was 40% Global Stocks, 20% Silver, 40% Gold.

I'm ignoring bonds because I don't like them in an environment of negative interest rates, but they would reduce portfolio volatility.

UaiFyRM.png

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm not trusting my retirement pot to a fly by night app head quartered in the Ukraine who uses my data to manipulate the market :o

That's if you even 'own' the shares lol.

No interactive brokers hold the shares for you completely separate from t212.

They do it for many many companies.

But the arrangement is the same in most fee free brokerages.

Soldato
No interactive brokers hold the shares for you completely separate from t212.

They do it for many many companies.

But the arrangement is the same in most fee free brokerages.
Definitely has its place for play-money but I wouldn't be using it for long term investments. And I wouldn't be using ETFs for long-term investments as I don't need that speed.

Associate

Do you plan to invest in the other funds any time soon? Seems a bit silly to be paying extra unnecessary fees because you like the look of the website more.

Back
Top Bottom