Storage SSD Recomendations?

GM2

GM2

Associate
Hi

Looking to add some storage to a work Dell 7070 SFF / i7-9700 / 8 GB

Currently has a 256GB M2 as its only drive.

90+% used for standard Office & browsing. Some photo editing, occasional AutoCAD, very occasional video editing.

Looking to add some addition local storage (most stuff held on a server).

Is there any reason not to go with this:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £89.99 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

or a SanDisk SSD PLUS 1 TB Sata III 2.5 Inch Internal SSD, Up to 535 MB/s, which I can get for pretty much the same money?

Thanks

GM2

GM2

Associate
OP
Hmmm... 70+ views and no responses. Is that because no-one has anything to say? That would be a first round here!

I presume either is equally valid then - or someone would probably have told me where I was about to go wrong...?! :/

Man of Honour
Intel 660p 1tb and swap out the current m.2
Can be had at the same price as the sata3 860 qvo
Failing that, the cheapest sata3 SSD that you can get your hands on

GM2

GM2

Associate
OP
Thanks tamzzy.

a) Given what I'm doing with the m/c (mostly not much!) is there any real advantage in going that route? TBH, I've got a standard 1 TB HDD I could use, that would probably be fine - it's just I quite like the idea of a virtually silent PC on my desk!
b) How easy is it to clone from one M2 to another M2? Presumably I'd need some sort of adapter / external housing - I don't have 2x M2 slots.
c) I'd end up with less storage overall - although a spare M2, which I could sell / swap / find another home for.

Cheers

Man of Honour
a) Given what I'm doing with the m/c (mostly not much!) is there any real advantage in going that route?
mostly because ssds lose their speed once they start to hit their capacity limit - ideally should have ~40gb free to allow trim and garbage collection to work effectively

TBH, I've got a standard 1 TB HDD I could use, that would probably be fine - it's just I quite like the idea of a virtually silent PC on my desk!
depends on what you're doing with the drive
if purely for storage then a hdd will be more than sufficient
but if you're using it for programs/scratch disk etc then ssd would be preferable

b) How easy is it to clone from one M2 to another M2? Presumably I'd need some sort of adapter / external housing - I don't have 2x M2 slots.
i'd probably do a clean install. but yes if you want to clone you'd need an adapter or external housing...or just get a sata3 ssd

c) I'd end up with less storage overall - although a spare M2, which I could sell / swap / find another home for.
correct

Associate
Hi

Looking to add some storage to a work Dell 7070 SFF / i7-9700 / 8 GB

Currently has a 256GB M2 as its only drive.

90+% used for standard Office & browsing. Some photo editing, occasional AutoCAD, very occasional video editing.

Looking to add some addition local storage (most stuff held on a server).

Is there any reason not to go with this:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £89.99 (includes shipping: £0.00)

or a SanDisk SSD PLUS 1 TB Sata III 2.5 Inch Internal SSD, Up to 535 MB/s, which I can get for pretty much the same money?

Thanks
Avoid the QVO drive, it uses QLC nand. The point of QLC nand is to increase capacities at the cost of performance and endurance, much like the move from MLC to TLC. This 1TB model has really poor write speeds when the SLC cache is full, it will be slower than a hard drive for large sequential transfers. While QLC isn't necessarily a bad thing since it can increase capacities, the problem is that they are currently pricing it the same as vastly superior TLC drives such as the MX500.

GM2

GM2

Associate
OP
The WD Blue 1TB is currently £95 at overclockers.

Order placed.

If you shop around you can also find the Crucial MX500 1TB for £91.54.

I did find this listed on a comparison site, but think it's now gone and I'm not sure whether it would have qualified for the full manufacturer's guarantee.

Many thanks for your help here.

Back
Top Bottom