store bought DVDs and copyright warnings

Associate
WS_TailGunner said:
have to admit- having copyright warinings on legit media does seem a tad pointless

all that happens is that the owner of the dvd gets annoyed, and the pirate (yarr!)/downloader/copyer has a little giggle.

TG

Whilst pointless, how else are they going to get the warning onto illegally released materials?

Soldato
It actually does the opposite, some people will be thinking about ripping the disc so they can take out the warnings/trailers/menu etc...

I find it annoying, same as the menu's taking forever to load the options screen, after 3 times watching the same thing it gets annoying

Soldato
I dont find them annoying really, after all, they have been around since the days of VHS, gives you a chance to gather your munchies, kill the lights and adjust the sound. What DOES annoy me on the other hand are the trailers they put on some dvd's now that you cannot skip, that you have to fast forward through.

Permabanned
How about on the Fast and Furious DVDs? where they have the main character come on and tellyou to always wear your seat belt and not speed.

How many people watch the DVD and want to go out and drive like on the film? yes me, but does the little video at the beginning stop me? no!!! (if I had a car)

Associate
I dont mind the quick screen with the copyright notice as long as its short. Having these longer piracy adverts and other adverts for films is getting a bit much.

Off topic - but is circumventing region coding illegal for DVDs? I bought some chinese/japanese films when i was in HK and cant play them.

Soldato
PikeyPriest said:
I dont mind the quick screen with the copyright notice as long as its short. Having these longer piracy adverts and other adverts for films is getting a bit much.

Off topic - but is circumventing region coding illegal for DVDs? I bought some chinese/japanese films when i was in HK and cant play them.

A group's decision to implement a region locking scheme to maximise their profits is thankfully not law.

Associate
dirtydog said:
Illegally released materials will have the warning removed.

IMO, people who buy illegally released materials wont care about the warning, so its all a bit pointless.

i dont know a single person that hasnt taped something off the radio or recorded a movie from tv- the general public really dont seem care about copyright theft.

TG

Associate
What about the ones that come up with all the copyright threats at the beggining in about 4 or 5 languages, and you wait ages for it to cyle through them all.

The most annoying one is when some bloke in a suit comes in and says Downloading pirate movies funds terrorism and organised crime. No money exchanges, I want proof if they are going to make allegations like that.

Soldato
PikeyPriest said:
This is a difficult one, you cannot copy the DVD to make it region free or region 2 so the other option is to use a region free player but I don't know if that is legal.

Soldato
WS_TailGunner said:
downloading movies causes male pattern bladness, global warming, terrorists and the collapse of society as we know it...

its got to be true- the riaa says so...
First of all, male pattern bladness? Secondly, the RIAA is the the Recording Industry Association of America. I think the acronym you're looking for is the MPAA, and like the RIAA, they only cover America.

I don't see what the problem with copyright theft notices is, to be quite honest. Never have I seen one take up more than 30 seconds of my time, and never has one gotten on my nerves that much.

Perhaps they're in place to stop people pleading ignorance? If you are forced to sit through a short copyright notice at the start of a film, you can't later go on to claim you didn't know it was illegal when you've shoved a copy on the internet and ended up in court

Caporegime
Al Vallario said:
Ignorance has never been a defence in law (except tax law - but that's a different ballgame).

As we're all nitpicking - it's the F.A.C.T. in the UK, not the MPAA or RIAA.

If thirty seconds / two minutes doesn't bother you, you may not have had to endure watching a DVD with children.

Soldato
I had to laugh at the piracy advert before King Kong when I watched it at the cinema. It was a clip where the video was shaking, the sound was inaudible. Then told the audience why buy copies which are bad recordings. I had to chuckle, because it aint like this anymore, you can get hold of DVD's of cinema material even stuff with has not even been released yet, and its perfect in 5.1 sound.

Associate
Al Vallario said:
First of all, male pattern bladness? Secondly, the RIAA is the the Recording Industry Association of America. I think the acronym you're looking for is the MPAA, and like the RIAA, they only cover America.

I don't see what the problem with copyright theft notices is, to be quite honest. Never have I seen one take up more than 30 seconds of my time, and never has one gotten on my nerves that much.

Perhaps they're in place to stop people pleading ignorance? If you are forced to sit through a short copyright notice at the start of a film, you can't later go on to claim you didn't know it was illegal when you've shoved a copy on the internet and ended up in court

firstly "the the Recording Industry Association of America" ?

secondly, sarcasm doesnt have to be accurate, so ner.

Man of Honour
if this bugs you look at all the rubish they are introducing for the HD-DVD - wanna watch them, on your funkey brand new 42" lcd - tough, your gonna have to buy one thats chipped to allow hd-dvd along with the new hd-dvd player - grrrr

Back
Top Bottom