1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storm Corrosion?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by paulc, 27 Jul 2006.

1. paulc

Associate

Just been having a look at the Storm block I purchased very recently and have am a bit disconcerted by the appearance of the inside of the block:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It looks like there is some marking, possibly corrosion. Am I being paranoid? Does this look bad, or is it nothing to worry about? Was bought as new, so its not the sort of thing I would expect to see. It might go if I were to flush it out, but if it is a problem it needs sorting out.

How easy (if possible at all) is it to dismantle the block? (looks like it should be possible judging by the rev2 upgrade kits available.)

Edit: Found the mini allen key and managed to dismantle it - will post pics tomorrow, but it isn't pretty. Doesn't look good to me, but I'll let those who know more take a look. Must sleep...

Last edited: 27 Jul 2006
  2. Gashman

Mobster

thats new, are you kidding, it looks like it has been made by a kid in a workshops, its official then, swiftech off the market for me, with that built quality and some machining problems found in a few. its silver so it doesn't look like corrosion, im not what that is to be honest :confused:

3. Zefan

Don

From a shop or an auction?

4. Gashman

Mobster

aren't storms meant to be shiny and clean looking, as well as one of best blocks on the market? by comparison alphacool look soooo well made if thats new swiftech

5. ichabod crane

Man of Honour

thats normal for that for pf block, all water setups eventually get a build up of some sort that affects the blocks thats why you are adviced to clean out ya water every 9months or so, obviously that block has been used, and out of most of the blocks on the market that one is more prone to the affects of build up in the water because of its design. i know some one who had a carther cascade ss lasted only 4months before it stained and got clogged

6. Stelly

Don

thats a little on the shocking side :(

Stelly

7. paulc

Associate

Was bought new from an online retailer. Been in touch with them and they got back fairly quickly. Apparently its just where the copper has oxidised, and is just surface marks. The rest of the block is in good condition, the nozzles on the mid-section are un-obstructed and it looks as though the marks will polish off if need be, there isn't any actual physical damage. The underside of the block, while needing a bit of a cleanup, is also fine. Not 100% happy, but not a major problem. Just needs a bit of careful cleaning I guess. Recommended cleaning fluid?

8. DaveMac

Mobster

Sounds like someone has used and returned it - is the protective film still on the base?

For cleaning copper I use tomato ketchup - paste it over the oxidisation for about 10 minutes then rinse off.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. MikeTimbers

Soldato

What Dave said. Can't beat a bit of ketchup.

10. paulc

Associate

Thats an interesting and rather novel solution :). I shall have to give it a try.

11. SiriusB

Capodecina

Assuming its the vinegar in the ketchup that does the work, why not just use vinegar? Gotta be cheaper!

SiriusB

12. Ozymandias

Hitman

ketchup is more gloopy - technical word :)

13. Gashman

Mobster

simply solution to that problem, bathe the block in a bowl full of vinegar... :)

14. paulc

Associate

Well, I shall try either one or both of these over the weekend. Cheers for the help.

15. welshtom

PermaBanned

cillit bang will beat anythign else :p

16. SiriusB

Capodecina

Yeah, just get Barry Whoever-the-hell-he-is to TALK REALLY LOUD at it for a few minutes, that'll shift any corrosion lol

SiriusB