Storm or Apogee CPU Waterblock?

Soldato
Man, it's been so long since I've been in this part of town. What's the deal with these two blocks? Last I heard, people were raving about the G5, but OcUK only supplies it's brother block.

So, what's up?

Soldato
Swiftech make more money selling the Apogee because it's much simpler to make. Their test results say it's as good - others say it isn't. Bottom line: the Apogee is very good and very cheap. If you can afford and more importantly find a Storm, get one of those but the Apogee is extremely good value.

Soldato
They replaced the Storm with the Apogee, as it stands it appears they did so due to with the storm they had to pay royalties to Cather who designed the block. Whereas with the Apogee its their own design.

The storm used to be avilable in the clearance bit of OCUK so if your buying seperately i'd check it out if they still have any

Soldato
I managed to get an apex kit while they had storm waterblocks. Iirc...The apogee performs slightly better, something like half a degree centigrade with like flow rates, but is much less restrictive on water flow (diamonds, not little jets like in the storm). This allows flow rate to be higher, giving better real world performance, and allowing you to use more waterblocks etc in the loop. If I had the choice now I'd probably go with the apogee since its cheaper and *probably* better performing.

Soldato
Marvt74 said:
Nope not better performing at all.

The only test where it seemed to beat the Storm was one that was later dismissed as it was pointless, and anything other than Swiftechs own tests have proven this
Thanks for clearing that up. I did read that on the swifech site, so likely to be propaganda :)

Back
Top Bottom