Street Fighter V

Associate
Alright guys, this finally drops tomorrow, Feb 16th.

Who's picking this up? I have it pre-loaded on steam, ready to go. Dusting off my fight stick (haven't played for years now, fell off staying competitive with SFIV) and jumping straight into it. Stayed away from the beta and general videos of this, want to just go in cold!

I'll be trying all the characters, but probably be staying loyal to my main girl Chun Li.

cyro_borjan on Steam, please leave you name so we can organise some fights!

Soldato
Barely played much of ultra so nope. Maybe when this is in a steam sale for £10 or less.

Curious if its a small or big update this new one. Is there all new cut scenes and storys for all characters? Who's the new fighters? Is there any new mechanics that would prevent me from playing sagat normally like I did in previous games etc? Hope they toned down combos etc as I still not a fan of then since sf4 I'm more in favour of normal attacks ala sf2.

Associate
OP
Barely played much of ultra so nope. Maybe when this is in a steam sale for £10 or less.

Curious if its a small or big update this new one. Is there all new cut scenes and storys for all characters? Who's the new fighters? Is there any new mechanics that would prevent me from playing sagat normally like I did in previous games etc? Hope they toned down combos etc as I still not a fan of then since sf4 I'm more in favour of normal attacks ala sf2.
\\

I have good news and bad news for you...

Good news first. I think its a significant update. Ground wake up oki/vortex/option selects have been taken away, hardly anything hard knockdowns anymore. Two quick stand options mean the action flows very fast. Combo's are much less important in this one. Combo potential has dropped significantly in this game, the ones that remain are short and to the point. The normal attack game is very important now, especially with a few changes to counter hits. Quite a few new characters, and they have actually changed how some of the old ones play a significant amount. Crucially, every character has a unique V-skill manoeuvre that changes how they can be used.

Bad news... no sagat this time around (yet). Also they have removed chip damage being able to kill (still chips though), so I don't know how you played sagat before but now you actually have to land a proper last hit to finish someone off. Zoning obviously still works, but Sagat was a real pressure character and I think now with the changes to normals/combos mean that block strings are not as tight, you have to be really careful about applying mindless pressure or you will get counter-jabbed out for decent damage.

Soldato
wouldnt mind getting some more info on this once you have played it. a mate keeps wanting to play mortal kombat but its utter **** on pc so want to find a good alternative

Associate
OP
No sagat? Meh its not worth it then for me as he and ken were my main two characters.

Eh, Ken still looks quite fun from what I can see. Fast and damaging, right kind of stylish too.

I'd at least give it a go somehow, I think the characters you use aren't your favourites because of who they actually are but the tools they have. Perhaps someone else will tickle your fancy.

wouldnt mind getting some more info on this once you have played it. a mate keeps wanting to play mortal kombat but its utter **** on pc so want to find a good alternative

I'll have my thoughts written up in a couple of days maximum. I think this will pretty much be my entire weekend though haha.

i'll be getting it but on the console probably. sf4 is not the same with my xbox pad on my pc as it just won;t map the keys properly.

Strange, shouldn't ever be a problem there... Official pad?

Most people will be using the SFV console thread. You need to share your Capcom ID and you can play people across the platforms.

Ah good point, also didn't realise the Capcom ID is the one to use... at least cross platform is a thing! Luckily with fighting games they at least make sure the console version run properly at 60fps :D Still I will get it on PC as that's all I have.

Soldato
Steam ID; Meth3rlence
I've not really played fighters since DOA4 (still one of the greatest imho) and BlazBlue CT, attempted SF4 but couldn't get into it.. Will give 5 a go, might even buy a new stick - WHO KNOWS?! ;D

Soldato
Crazy expensive! :eek:

I didn't like the way SF games went after SF2T to be honest, all that flashy anime type explosive stuff did my head in. I've got SFIV and SFXT for evening get togethers/drunken gaming with mates but I'd still rather play SF2T any day of the week!

Mortal Kombat X is a different kettle of fish, actually quite like that.

I'll probably get this in a sale though.

Soldato
yes official xbox 360 game pad. if i leave the buttons in default mode - which i hate as i like the main buttons on the pad as high and med kick/punch, it screws the mapping and errors saying not enough keys etc to map all the controls. really annoying.

it also didn;t go full screen, i have a 29" ultrawide LG monitor.

Associate
Not a massive fan of fighting games but I'd read this was good for newbies. Then I read there's hardly any single player content and to wait until around June. Hopefully it'll be cheaper by then too.

Soldato
yes official xbox 360 game pad. if i leave the buttons in default mode - which i hate as i like the main buttons on the pad as high and med kick/punch, it screws the mapping and errors saying not enough keys etc to map all the controls. really annoying.

it also didn;t go full screen, i have a 29" ultrawide LG monitor.

Just a heads up that the 360 fight pads are mapped fine for this, and better than the 360 pad.

Associate
OP
Hmmm I had a fair amount of crashes when I played this for an hour last night, not sure what the deal was but only happened when I was just about to enter an online fight or exit from one.

Not sure if it was because I was playing at a higher DSR, had everything else whacked up to max settings. I'll try again this evening.

Also the fact it pings the server so often is quite a sluggish experience, at least I think that's what's happening as I have my game installed on an SSD. Definitely not as snappy as SFIV from an interface perspective.

I'll put more notes up about the actual gameplay when I have a few more hours under the belt.

Back
Top Bottom