Struggling to find a phone and plan for wife

Soldato
I'm not asking for much don't don't seem able to find what we're after.

She wants an Android handset with a 'normal sized' screen ie 5 - 5.5", certainly not 6"+.
With WiFi calling.
On EE (or BT, Plusnet etc)
Doesn't need many minutes or SMS and 1GB would be enough data.
Well under £20 a month including free handset, or under £10 SIM only.

What options are there?

Edit: she's coming from an iphone 5 (4", 640 x 1136 screen)

Last edited:
Soldato
I can't go through an exhaustive list however the first combination that comes to mind is the Pixel 4a (£349 RRP but can be picked up for less) along with say a £6 SIM only from Plusnet - what I would say is check out Uswitch for the SIM Only deals, this is one I saw at a glance.
For a reliable reasonably priced Android there isn't much better out there IMO.
Although the 4a has a 5.8 inch screen the overall footprint is only marginally bigger than the iPhone 5.

All in that works out at £18.50 per month over 2 years although it does require buying the phone outright.

If you want to all out contract from my experience you will end up overpaying, although not by much to be fair. The cheapest contract deal I see for the 4a has a total cost (over 24 months) of £458. However, for one of the networks you prefer the cheapest is £515.99 from EE but that unfortunately still comes with an up front cost of £107.99.

Now, all that being said you could go really budget (like a Samsung A20e) and you can get those on contract for £17pm but they really are a 'you get what you pay for' sort of device. If your mum does any sort of social media, web browsing or emailing I honestly wouldn't bother. We got one for my father-in-law at Christmas (his first smartphone lol) and to be honest all it's good for is phone calls and whatsapp, but that's all he wanted so he's happy enough.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom