Struggling to get two sticks of 3200mhz working on B450 with Ryzen 3600

Associate
Hey this is a copy paste post from my Reddit thread but Gigabyte support couldn't solve the issue and are testing the problem on their end. Who knows how long that will take but hope for the best expect for the worst.

Here is the post:

I just bought 2 brand new systems, both have the core of a Ryzen 3600, B450 Aorus Pro Wifi, and Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32GB 3200MHZ CL16. When I boot these systems with a single stick, I occasionally get some hiccups where the microcode before booting takes a long time, generally spending a lot of time on DRAM. This information is taken from the little indicator LEDs on the bottom right of this board.

Edit: I ran ram calculator and after making a profile with it in the bios, the system exemplified the same symptoms as booting dual channel.

However, after the extended time to boot the systems run fine, passing several shorter yet intense benchmarks. Aida, cinebench, memtest and a skew of graphics benchmarks. The problem with this setup comes when BOTH systems do not get past the DRAM LED on the F-Panel (with the occasional flicker to cpu) when trying to boot with both 16gb sticks in their respective dual channel slots.

I have tested all of the slots on the boards and they are working with both kits having all working sticks as well. I do not have any other system to test on besides these two. Also some other notes include not getting this to work at any frequency preset, not booting on xmp nor default, not booting with no CMOS button, and when they do get stuck on booting, the bios settings reset. One of the systems was tested with newest bios update (N4) and one without (F40?).

Have I gotten duds twice? Is this a compatibility issue? I know gigabyte doesn't specifically list compatibility for this ram on previous generation cpus but there is no logical reason I can think of why this board can't run 3200mhz. Is this some infinity fabric dual channel memory issue? Is b450 doomed for ryzen 3000?

Gigabyte support was contacted and ticket was made, Crucial was contacted and they said this memory motherboard combo was quite popular and their return rate is quite low. I can't find anyone else having this problem???

Specs for both systems:

Computer Type: Custom Build

GPU: Powercolor Radeon RX 5700xt and Sapphire Radeon RX 5700

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

Motherboard: B450 AORUS PRO WIFI

RAM: Crucial BLS2K16G4D32-B, tried in every slot, both boards, works 16 GB and doesn't 32gb, doesn't matter xmp or not

PSU: PowerSpec 750w Bronze

Operating System & Version: Windows 10

GPU Drivers: Whatever the cheezy crap the newest version of the amd graphics drivers are

Chipset Drivers: Updated to latest from Gigabyte website

Associate
OP
Wow! Gigabyte support is actually epic and got to testing my setup right away and found out that the necessary component to make this all work is all in their EC FW update tool. You can find it under utility at the Gigabyte support section of this motherboard page, 2nd under utility:

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-10#support-dl-utility

IDK if they should hide a firmware upgrade under utility instead of driver but it is my mistake for missing this.

The SOLUTION:
Install windows with one stick of RAM
Download all the latest drivers and bios updates under the page linked above
Don't forget to download their EC FW update tool
Restart the system to make sure everything is initialized
Turn off the system and without XMP enabled, install your second stick of RAM
After you boot with both sticks you can go ahead to tweaking. My kit out of the box with just switching frequency reached 3400 MHZ and I'll see if I can squeeze more!

Thanks everyone for all the help and again shoutout to Gigabyte support, I didn't catch my helpers name but he was patient and awesome.

Back
Top Bottom