Struggling with Temps in O11 XL

Soldato
Anyone got any ideas before I start totally changing my loop, I managed to pick up a O11 xl for a good price and swapped all my kit from my O11 WGX, I’m using 2 Black ice GTS360 1 normal and 1 XFlow, bottom is intake top is exhaust with a 120mm fan at the rear also exhausting I’m using a bay res with a D5 pump , my Liquid temps are 45c after an hour of gaming, the ambient in my room currently is 25c, I know glass cases are poor for airflow and got a grill for my WGX
Can anyone see any where I have gone wrong before I start tearing it apart and replacing the parts

DM9NjuA.jpg
tlG7OQ9.jpg

Soldato
Your temps all look similar to mine - except your chipset. This suggests to me that your ambient temp in the case is poor but your liquid temps are ok. I'll show you my temps for comparison:

Liquid maxes out at 44°
GPU maxes out at 53°
CPU maxes out around 65° or so
Chipset maxes out around 50°

Your temps look alright to me given your components use a lot more power! I'm on an i5-4690k using around 90W and GTX 1070 using 180W. I can't see what your components are but they're using more power than mine. I aim for quietness over coolness.

25° is a warm room too!

Maybe the AMD chipsets just run warm? What exactly aren't you happy with?

I would take the glass panel off and compare temperatures. I have a glass panel and found internal temperatures were pretty high with front intake and top/rear exhaust. Case temps got way better when I sealed the top off and aimed for straight through, front to back airflow. The thing about water cooling is it often neglects internal components like motherboard parts, RAM, VRMs etc which need fresh air too.

Soldato
OP
Your temps all look similar to mine - except your chipset. This suggests to me that your ambient temp in the case is poor but your liquid temps are ok. I'll show you my temps for comparison:

Liquid maxes out at 44°
GPU maxes out at 53°
CPU maxes out around 65° or so
Chipset maxes out around 50°

Your temps look alright to me given your components use a lot more power! I'm on an i5-4690k using around 90W and GTX 1070 using 180W. I can't see what your components are but they're using more power than mine. I aim for quietness over coolness.

25° is a warm room too!

Maybe the AMD chipsets just run warm? What exactly aren't you happy with?

I would take the glass panel off and compare temperatures. I have a glass panel and found internal temperatures were pretty high with front intake and top/rear exhaust. Case temps got way better when I sealed the top off and aimed for straight through, front to back airflow. The thing about water cooling is it often neglects internal components like motherboard parts, RAM, VRMs etc which need fresh air too.
I’m not happy with the water temperature, anything over a 15c delta over ambient isn’t good and mine is 20c over ambient

Associate
water temps are not great. when we had 30c my room was 27c and playing warzone 60-70% cpu and gpu usage. i got 33.5c water temps, 60c cpu and 48c gpu. in all fairness i was at 1800rpm with the fans and 80% pump 4300rpm.

if i use occt cpu test pushing 5 threads out of 6 i get 80% load, 105watts at 70c and running 3dmark port royal at the same time i get 100% gpu load at 53c at ambient 27c and 34.8c water temps, 2x240mm magicool rad, 1x360mm ekwb se at 1800rpm ml pro 120 fans.

so i would say you airflow is poor as 45c water temp is high. at 40c soft tubing starts to leech plasticiser from the tubes leading to slow but overtime, clogs in the microfins of the gpu and cpu blocks.

str

str

Soldato
Use spacers on the res/d5 and fit two intake 140mm fans on the back of the side using Akasa anti-vibration fan mounts.

Associate
could turn the fan at the rear to become intake. this will allow a small amount of air over the vrms and give a little positive pressure helping temps a little better.

the bottom is intake as you can see the 4 arms that you get on the back of fans :)

Soldato
OP
The bottom is intake and I have now switched the top to intake as well, the I have placed a fan below the res exhausting and also put another fan under the graphics card also exhausting. I’m now sitting at about 40c, I also got a good deal on a Corsair XR7 (basically a black ice GTX) to switch the bottom rad with.

Soldato
OP
right I’m really struggling now, I got rid of the bay res, got a proper one, added another 360 rad (corsair, basically HW GTX ) and Im still at 41c in my 25c room, what the **** is going on with my system? All my Fans are running at 1400rpm, top and bottom are intake and the side and rear are exhaust, this thing will be getting thrown in the garden soon
This is after 15mins of full load
5zhobix.jpg
18I7P0U.jpg

Soldato
Did you check with the side panel off? Regardless of liquid temperatures your chipset is hot.

Your pump is incredibly slow for a D5 too. I think mine bottoms out at 1800RPM lowest speed.

Edit: I'm probably wrong about the D5 as I presume it's on the case fan slot reading 4800RPM, not CPU as I assumed.

Associate
Have you checked the blocks/flow rate?

The pump can run as fast as it wants but if there's a block then flow won't help your temp situation.

Is that latest set of temps with the side panel off or did you take it off for the pictures?

Soldato
OP
Have you checked the blocks/flow rate?

The pump can run as fast as it wants but if there's a block then flow won't help your temp situation.

Is that latest set of temps with the side panel off or did you take it off for the pictures?
It was off for the picture so not to reflect, I have removed the filters and it’s currently at 40c full load with my ambient at 25.3c, I have removed the side rad and kept the fans, I just don’t know what’s going on now, I have replaced the flat res with more airflow, but the temps aren’t any better, here are my current temps after an hour
z8KqulP.jpg

Associate
Well it sounds like you still haven't tested the side panel off so that's still something to check.

If that makes a difference then you know it's air flow. If it doesn't then you know it's something wrong with the performance of your loop and, as I suggested, you would be best served checking the flow rate or failing that, your blocks for any clogging. It's much more of a risk with the fancy pastel fluids like you're running.

Soldato
OP
Well it sounds like you still haven't tested the side panel off so that's still something to check.

If that makes a difference then you know it's air flow. If it doesn't then you know it's something wrong with the performance of your loop and, as I suggested, you would be best served checking the flow rate or failing that, your blocks for any clogging. It's much more of a risk with the fancy pastel fluids like you're running.
I did a test with the side panel off and it dropped the water temp by 1c, I’m not worried by the temp of my components, I’m worried with the temp of my water which is currently 15c above ambient

Soldato
Your RAM temperature is a bit warm. This is a STRONG indicator that you have a lot of hot air circulating inside the case.

But other than that, your temps look ok and about the same as mine.

I have a 5950x and 3090 in the same case, I'm using Three EKWB PE 360 rads and my water temp can also get to 40c.

But I'm about to make some changes, I'll let you know if they help - I'm adding more fans and changing the flow of fans to focus more on getting air out of the case intead of air in - I'm also removing the glass front panel and replacing with a custom acrylic panel that has vents

Associate
Triple rad, the best temperature I ever managed was bottom and side intake, top exhaust, rear exhaust, same order as yours (top rad exhaust most of the heat, then side and bottom (as intake and using fresh air will be able to drop the coolant temperature as low as possible, even if their exhaust is affecting the top rad, it's minimal).
Now, walking with a target on my back, tried to use 3 Corsair 30mm ones, and their performance was way worse than the EKs I was using. Clearly the XE at the bottom is a blessing, and 2 PE would keep even the 3090 at bay temperature-wise.
Not fair comparing 3 x 30mm rads vs 2 x 40mm + 1 x 60mm, but as you have a thick rad, something odd is happening.
The bottom rad is the only one I would bother going push/pull.
As the coolant is getting hot, I don't believe any issue with the mounting of the blocks.
The only thing that my be affecting your loop now is flow rate.
Non-EK fittings can affect the flow on the GPU block. Not your case. You're using EK fittings.
There's only 2 things I could suggest: the GPU inlet, despite allowing any side as intake, anyone knows what effect it has using one or another as inlet, regarding flow?
Another, the cheapest "solution" would get a flow meter. One thing I noticed with the Corsair rads, which are basically your rads under another skin, is they are very restrictive. No joking.
Dual D5, minimal angled fittings and was struggling to get past 180l/h.
As I mention on other threads, my delta was always around 8ish Celsius. Fans would go up to 1000/1100 rpm/ Faster than that, would defeat my objective for watercooling (low noise). But the 3900x doesn't get as hot as some 5000 series, and during gaming I'm not really pushing the CPU.

Associate
As Mike and you have said yourself, it doesn't seem like you have any issues with your wc'd components so if it's just water temp you're bothered with and air flow isn't the problem (as proven by removing the side panel) then the solution is more fan speed or more radiator. The choice is yours.

Back
Top Bottom