Stuff ASUS : Enough is enough

Caporegime
Imo like Power Color, Asus produce good products but I am no way inclined to purchase them because and only because of the customer service. That is what it comes down to.

Associate
Asus striker II formula nforce - almost 2years of ownership. Still working, although it nearly left me intears for most of the early days I love it now.

I dont have experience of RMA but I can add that the support website can chug like you're browsing to the 1990's. Downloads speeds are fine, but it takes a few mins to load each page on your way there from my experience.

Would def. consider another Asus board from my own experience though.

Shame your boards dont do the same. Can appreciate you feel that way, only so much failure can take before you write off the manufacturer.

Last edited:
Associate
I tend to find although Asus boards tend to have more features normally and are faster that comes at the expense as generally being less robust than the competition (MSI gigabyte and in the past Abit - note I don't include DFI as I've found there kit to be usually untested beta hardware released too early )

For me there's always been one combination that I've avoided like the plague after being stung too many things - ASUS and Nvidia chipsets - absolute garbage

Soldato
Honestly, you feel the motherboard quality is low from ASUS? As an open question really...how would you define the "quality" of a motherboard?
Quality of the components, Gigabyte were the first to offer solid capacitors on their boards, I also find having good quality heatsinks on the NB and SB is a good indicator, and again I've found Gigabyte boards to be better.

My Asus P5B ran very hot and eventually died, whereas my Gigabye P965-DS3 is still running find today!

Permabanned
Asus boards do have good quality heatsinks as well.

The Asus P5B is an old low end moherboard, you cant really use that to compare to current Asus motherboards such as the ROG series motherboards. Even the non ROG Asus boards have top quality cooling on them now.

I would have never bought the Asus P5B either.

My crossfire S939 replacement for the broken A8N-SLIs lasted for 3 and a half years with an Athlon 4400+ clocked to 2.6 Ghz. I cant remember what it was called now though, it was the deluxe S939 board from Asus with two 16x PC-E slots. I just checked on google, it was the A8R32 MVP deluxe. My A8N-SLIs were crappy and didnt last long, but the A8R32 board lasted a very long time, and even sold for a good price after 40+ months of use.

Last edited:
Soldato
Asus boards do have good quality heatsinks as well.

The Asus P5B is an old low end moherboard, you cant really use that to compare o current Asus motherboards such as the ROG series motherboards. Even the non ROG Asus boards have top quality cooling on them now.

I would have never bought the Asus P5B either.

Asus P5B and Gigabyte P965 DS3 were rival models at the time, both were around £70 I think, I guess Asus boards (and the RMA process) may have improved since then...

Soldato
I've only really had the deluxe versions of the Asus lineup as they always have great cooling and a beefy CPU power section :D

The 2 components I try never to skimp on are the mobo and power supply.

Permabanned
Asus P5B and Gigabyte P965 DS3 were rival models at the time, both were around £70 I think, I guess Asus boards (and the RMA process) may have improved since then...

And you use a £70 motherboard to judge the quality of the entire line of products made by that company?

Personally, I would never have bought either of the boards you mentioned. The MSI P35 Neo 2 board that I bought to upgrade from S939 was just £60 and better than anything else in its price range back when I moved onto S775. I always check reviews first and compare overclocking features and go for whatever is consistently good across several reviews.

If you see a £70 motherboard with barely adequate tiny heatsinks on it, you should be able to tell that its not going to be as good as the higher end boards which cost a lot more and feature much better cooling and maybe better quality components.

The 2 components I try never to skimp on are the mobo and power supply.

^^ This. If you buy a cheap motherboard, then dont expect miracles, regardless of who its made by. If you buy an expensive motherboard and it turns out to fail or have any serious problems, then either you were highly unlucky, or it must have been an Nvidia chipset :D.

I've never used Asus RMA though, I just send them back to the retailer.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think that all the vanilla boards have improved vastly over the last couple generations....but still, when I see people speccing a p55-ud2 for overclocking an i5 750 or something I cringe.

Soldato
OP
And you use a £70 motherboard to judge the quality of the entire line of products made by that company?

When that board was first released it was £130

It has been such a massive success that they were able to lower it and now it can be had for half the price yes.

It has been around for some time too, which again, also owes this because it IS such a perfect motherboard.

I am seriously struggling to think of any other board by ny other maker that has been on sale for as long as this board has, and stil sells in such high numbers.

Those simple little fact speak volumes in my book.

And its also why I have owned 4 in the past and still own 2.

If you see a £70 motherboard with barely adequate tiny heatsinks on it, you should be able to tell that its not going to be as good as the higher end boards which cost a lot more and feature much better cooling and maybe better quality components.

Again, the DS3 came out at twice that price.
Has a massive ( if still inadequate ) Heatsink cooler
And was the first to introduce ultra reliable Japanese Caps

The board was also available in a cheaper version called the S3 as opposed to the DS3 and this was 100% identical but used standard Caps instead of solid ones.

But the DS3 was among the first to get Conroes into 500MHZ Territory even with their stock Heatsinks.

Mine however, all have Zalman cooling... Just in case.

But the DS3 is pretty much the grand daddy of so many other motherboards now, that to say he is judging over one board would be wrong... There are dozens in Gigabytes range that are basically DS3 Boards with "adjustments".

Permabanned
The P965 DS3 wasnt ever a high end board, it was released as a mid range not for overclocking board which didnt even have two PCI-E slots.

The DQ6 version was the one made for overclocking.

Oh, that DQ3 was like 16 months older than P35, I didnt realise that. It was out well before MSI made the lollercoasters :p.

Boards made before the P35 / X48 ones werent really very well cooled at all and didnt overclock as much as they do today.

Last edited:
Soldato
My Asus boards that failed were 2x Asus A8N SLI as well.

Im sure the ones based on Intels chipsets are far far better.

I had an A8N SLi fail on me too. The coolers on the chipsets were so awful. :(

So I grabbed a nForce 4 SLi Foxconn Winfast board for £45 in a clearance, whacked a Thernalright SLi cooler on the chipset (for a chipset cooler it's a monster) and that board is still going strong. :D
(onboard sound is dead but I never used it til i tested it)

My Gigabyte AMD 790X-UD4P board now though is very nice. I'm used to using cheap ass boards so it feels like such a premium board to me.

Associate
Im an ASUS board fan boy too \o/

I think my next build will be AMD and utilising a Crosshair. If I do decide to burn money and go Intel, it will be the P6T. Either way, ASUS all the way.

Soldato
OP
The P965 DS3 wasnt ever a high end board, it was released as a mid range not for overclocking board which didnt even have two PCI-E slots.

Not for overclocking?
So, the massive number of people that were hitting bus speeds never seen before were all making it up? - I myself broke 520MHZ

Didnt even have 2 PCI-E Slots!

So? - I am glad because it had 3 PCI slots and so my Sound, IDE, and TV Cards could all be used.

The DQ6 version was the one made for overclocking.

Maybe. I have one of those too.

As for the 2xPCIE, I myself have found that a third PCI slot to be much more useful than a second PCIE

Its not xfire or sli so you can mix and match with is a good thing I suppose, but still...

Soldato
Only reason I switched to Abit & then Gigabyte was because of experiencing poor RMA support with Asus.

Now that I've read it has improved i.e. got a decent system in place, I've gone back to them again.

Back
Top Bottom