Stuff ASUS : Enough is enough

Soldato
I feel I must stand up a little for Nvidia chipsets in small part. The Evga implementation of the 790i chipset was absolutely superb (The Asus was rubbish IMO), and better than all the other Intel 775 chipsets for gaming. They ran toasty but they were the fastest around.

Soldato
OP
Abit no more?

WHAT????

I got a QuadGT Mobo a while back and I thought it was well sweet.

Given their massive success with the Likes of the NF7 / NF7S and other such little darlings like the KD7A ( I have one of those too... Still going well ) and the KT7 ( Someone mentioned their lack of palomino support, ( but thats what it run in mine just spanky - I think my brother is using that now to do his sewing machine stuff with? )

Anyway, Abit going down is a bit of a shock to me TBH!

Just goes to show.

Soldato
I had an asus that actually cost me money cos OC insisted it wasnt faulty, was later told the whole series was flakey with all ram slots in use...something OC should have known and told me. I wont buy asus again..no such issues with the gigabyte i got to replace it.

Soldato
Not for clocking 45nm quads.

The 790i chipsets had more options for clocking anything AFAIR, they just weren't as automated as the Intels. If you could be bothered to get your head around the GTL adjustments (Which I never could, but it got my quad 200mhz higher than my P35 so I didn't care) there really was a lot of scope. I was consistenly impressed how well that board performed in game benchmarks.

Soldato
To be fair I agree with you that the 790i was a good chipset. DDR3 performance was far, far better than intel chipsets...however the heat and price of 790 chipset boards put me off.

However I still have to say that pretty much all other NVIDIA 775 chipsets were dreadful.

Soldato
OP
So, lets get a little towards recommending particular boards rather than slagging off certina makers or even chipsets.

My personal favourite Motherboard is most probably the Gigabyte DS3-965P, and this is VERY closely followed by the DS4 and then the DQ6.
To be honest I cannot justify the price of the DS6 over the DS4 and given the fact that I have both, I myself have not yet found a reason to get the DQ6 over the DS4.

All these 3 in the 965P Chipset by the way.

Soldato
My favourite board of all time was the Asus P5Q Deluxe. Great layout, great cooling, extremely easy to overclock.....capable of high FSB on low voltage.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I know about Abit not being around anymore, i'm just mentioning that their P35 board was one of the best S775 mobos before they went bust.

The Gigabyte DS3 board might have been a good clocker back then, but Asus boards today are very good quality as well.

Associate
I like Asus only really had afew problems with their boards the company i would Avoid at all costs from personal pov is DFI i only changed the Cpu out from Amd 3000 to AMD 5200x2 and the mainboard died what was annoying i only upgraded so i could play some games since i slipped at work n broke my colar bone and wrist ended up having to be in a lot of pain changing the boards out 4 times with RMA i was so bored at home for 8 weeks :( and i wouldnt let my hubby near a Pc with a screw driver even if it wasnt my system.

Man of Honour
To be fair I agree with you that the 790i was a good chipset. DDR3 performance was far, far better than intel chipsets...however the heat and price of 790 chipset boards put me off.

However I still have to say that pretty much all other NVIDIA 775 chipsets were dreadful.

790 had some good features but like most nForce chipsets they had some serious issues. The only nForce based LGA775 board that were really decent were the Gigabyte N650 DS4 and EVGA 750i F.T.W. and even the EVGA needed a couple of BIOS updates to solve some serious problems - but the newer BIOS do seem to completely stabalise the board.

Soldato
If we are talkin' old school AMD nvidia boards then the DFI nf4 ultra-d was the board that really got me into overclocking. Got my 4400x2 to 3.03GHz back when 3GHz was fairly rare. A stunning board for sure :D

Soldato
I had the Asus A8N-Sli Premium for around 4 years, was a great board, along with an FX-53 which I only sold last year, cost me over £500 lol, sold it for around £40.

I managed to get over £100 for Corsair 3500LL's they were the daddys of DDR. ;)

Soldato
I've always had great experiences with Asus boards, i must have had 20 of them over the years and never a problem.

Had a few Gigabyte boards recently and whilst good clockers they definitely have more quirks such as the cold boots quite a few can get.

You can't blame Asus for poo nvidia chipsets.

Soldato
Indeed my Gigabyte boards have had strange quirks that annoyed me, and reaching very high clocks were not as easy as ASUS. However I have to say that at least with the 775 boards, Gigabytes have yielded the highest FSB clocks once I got used to the boards. As for Phenom 2, I have used Asus, Gigabyte, and MSI....and I liked the MSI GD70 the best out of all of them. My first venture with MSI and loved it!

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm happy to buy Asus boards - can't say i've had a lot of problems with them.

I think your mistake was buying nVidia chipsets.

Manufacturers I steer clear of: MSI and DFI.

Soldato
After 18 months my ASUS P5Q PRO board has decided to do bios reset every too weeks for no reason what so ever. I power down one evening next morning I power up and the bios is back to default settings.
It's intermittent I can change the bios and it lasts for couple of weeks then it does it again.

I have too little time to read loads of Win 7 diagnostics sadly so i'm just putting up with it until i can afford new bits...

Back
Top Bottom