Stuff ASUS : Enough is enough

Associate
I tend to steer clear of asus as well not so much because i have a particular downer on the hardware but last time i had to deal with them (yes was a few years ago) to sort out some rma's it was a total nightmare. Maybe it has changed maybe it hasn't but i had such a bad time i will never go back so many days spent trying to sort it out cost me a fortune let alone the hassle with clients. All builds i have done in the last two years have been with gigabyte boards and not a single one has had any problems thats good enough for me i'm afraid if something works for you stick with it :).

Associate
My asus p5b-e still seems to be working fine can't remember when i bought it but must be a good few years ago now. Think it was around £100 is it just me that is shocked at the price of high end boards these days?

Associate
No prices do seem to have gone up a lot of late compared to the older boards that were just as over specced at their time of release. I am preparing to upgrade my pc sometime in the next year and looking at the prices of most of the i7 boards it's looking like it will be an expensive upgrade this time round. Hopefully if intel release a new cpu in the next year newer boards may be lower priced but i won't hold my breath.

Soldato
I'm now one Asus motherboard down, moved to a Gigabyte and I shall be staying in this camp for a very long time I reckon.

When the motherboard died I think it took my hard drive with it. Everything was perfect and I've had to replace both. Not certain if that has solved yet though, formatting the new HDD now. :p

Soldato
OP
Well, as much as people **** off the NForce Chipset, I can only go by personal experience and I have had good results from them.

I still have a number of NF boards and my most recen build is based on a second hand NForce 680i and I am very happy with them.

I am also utterly happy with my Intel Chipsets mind you and given the choice, I have to say that I will say that the 965P Gigabyte DS3 is perhaps my most loved board ever - but very very close behind it, must surely be the Abit NF7S

I stil have a couple of DS3s and only recently got rid of my last NF7S to a dea mate of mine, who is chilling it as we speak!

Caporegime
I had an evga 680i, great for clocking a dual core but rubbish with quads, wouldnt clock my q6600 above 3ghz, it was also a very hot running board, until i replaced the tim on the chipsets, (stock stuff was rubbish). When that board packed in i replaced it with an asus p5q deluxe, relatively easy 3.8ghz from the same q6600. Never had any issues with the p5q, stuck with asus for my i7 rig with a p6t deluxe v2, so far its been very stable, also still have an asus a8n 32 sli nforce 4 board in another rig, been running rock solid 24/7 for years now.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, my A8N-SLI has my old Opty175 ( My fastest 939 ) and its fine. I have a Zalman Fanless cooler on the NB as its the only thing that will also let me use my 2x7800GTX Cards.

My EVGA 680i only has an E6400 and its not clocked although I have tinkered. Its not my main PC and I see no reason to clock when I wont need the power. Come to think of it, NONE of my PCs are clocked at all anymore as they are all more than fast enough for my needs.

Soldato
I still have an old pc using an a8n sli deluxe, had that for 6 years almost without any problems (bar the chipset fan whining, but that got wc'd). Had no problems with that, was nice to overclock with.

Using an asus maximus formula II at the moment and again no issues.

Must be the nvidia chipsets (gg on the hp dv range with nvidia chipsets - known for wireless not working, display issues and even power issues, sweet boards :p)

Soldato
OP
HAHAHA!

My mate came to me today crying his eyes out cos his PC has just died on him... The PSU and the Mobo both got fried ( one took out the other via the 4pin 12v extra connection )

Guess what it was?

Do de do-do-do... Another ASUS bites the dust..

Soldato
It appears to me like the pattern is indeed the NVIDIA chipsets. I must say, I had a Asus P5N-D SLI MB and it was possibly quite the worse motherboard I've ever had, horrible problems with the BIOS (sometimes you couldn't even access it), sound problems with Win XP but it worked perfectly with Windows 7, showing that the drivers weren't properly released around the time it was manufactered but they finally fixed it after win 7 came out.

Oh and although it was an SLI board, both PCI-E slots were far too close to each other to actually SLI any decent cards.

I have nothing against Asus and I think they make great motherboards but definately not any with NVIDIA chipsets :D

-Franco

Back
Top Bottom