Stupid 360 question ahoy!

Associate
So, im looking to get a 360 Premium pack in the next few weeks - and have a few questions (most of them stupid) that i would like to ask as i cannot seem to find them elsewhere.

• Has anyone had the "tearing" effect on a Samsung LE40R51 dispay with the 360?
  • Can i browse the net on the 360?
  • Can i play MP3s etc on the 360, having them stored on its 20GB HDD?
  • Should i be worried about the whole overheating problem?
  • Should i just stick with my PC? I like console gaming and want to take advantage of my new HD TV
  • Can it be used for playing DVDs with the standard wireless controller included in the premium pack? Or do i have to buy a remote control?

Thanks

Soldato
  • Can i browse the net on the 360?

Not really, although you can blag it via a method using Windows Media Centre and a few workarounds, not really worth it though.

• Can i play MP3s etc on the 360, having them stored on its 20GB HDD?

No, you can stream MP3's from your PC or rip a proper (not Mp3) audio CD to the HDD. You cant put mp3's directly on the HDD.

• Should i be worried about the whole overheating problem?

No, just place the console and the power brick in sensible places.

• Should i just stick with my PC? I like console gaming and want to take advantage of my new HD TV.

Youve just given yourself 2 reasons right there to not stick with it!

• Can it be used for playing DVDs with the standard wireless controller included in the premium pack? Or do i have to buy a remote control?

No, you can use the pad.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Ive sold 3 xbox 360's today for microsoft demo'ing mine to mates. I'm a PC gamer, hate those console thingies. They are for kids, I have a ps2 to keep my nephew entertained when he comes to stay.

But the 360 has changed my view. Its awesome. Still not usre on reliabilty but Ive tried to be sensible where mines placed. Mines a computer desc with one of those cupboards for the Desktop pc. Ive put mine in there but cut the back off the desk for ventilation and open the cupboard door when playing. Which still I think offers far more ventilation than covering the holes when you place it upright. It doesn't feel that warm to touch either when ive been playing for an hour or so.

Get one I guarentee you won't regret it. Don't know about the tearing but i'm curious as to where or why thats a worry because my wife wants that particular TV? Is it just that 40 inch version or does the 32 do it as well?

Associate
OP
dannyjo22 said:
Don't know about the tearing but i'm curious as to where or why thats a worry because my wife wants that particular TV? Is it just that 40 inch version or does the 32 do it as well?

I read a lot of stuff about it on avforums a few weeks back when i was getting the TV. It came down to the fact that some people were complaining about it and a LOT more werent. Some people over there just seem to be a little over the top.

Oh, and it was effecting the whole Sammy R41 and R51 range (26", 32" and 40") - but is apparently fixable by a firmware update. I think i may have seen some tearing on mine - but tbh, out of the hours and hours and HOURS of battlefield i have been playing - about 5 seconds of that i may of seen it tearing, but im not even 100% that thats what it was.

Thanks for your answers by the way! Just got to find a place that has them in stock now... :confused: :)

Man of Honour
I'd have thought any tearing will be down to the game + console more than the TV.

I've heard some murmers that Perfect Dark Zero has some tearing issues, but I've not played it. Other than that, all your questions are pretty much answered.

Associate
OP
DaveyD said:
I'd have thought any tearing will be down to the game + console more than the TV.

I've heard some murmers that Perfect Dark Zero has some tearing issues, but I've not played it. Other than that, all your questions are pretty much answered.

Yar indeed they 'ar - thanks be to ye. Im in a piratey mood for some reason.

YAR!

Associate
OP
I find the Argos "Check and reserve" service on the phone quite handy as it will give stock levels at stores even if the website wont.

I have found one at a store near me, but unfortunately its the opposite direction to work - may have to use me precious flexi time to get to the store for 9am, and on to work for 10....hmmm, is it worth it?! If i were a patient man i could just wait abit longer for it to be available at the store a short walk from where i work....

Caporegime
richieboy said:
I find the Argos "Check and reserve" service on the phone quite handy as it will give stock levels at stores even if the website wont.

I have found one at a store near me, but unfortunately its the opposite direction to work - may have to use me precious flexi time to get to the store for 9am, and on to work for 10....hmmm, is it worth it?! If i were a patient man i could just wait abit longer for it to be available at the store a short walk from where i work....

It's worth it. Don't be lazy.

Associate
OP
You bunch of mentalists - lol.

Any ideas on a game? So far im thinking my best bet would be COD2 as im into that sort of game - i guess i should also look into signing up for Xbox Live so i can play other people online. Oh the opportunities.

Caporegime
You get a month free with xbox live when you buy. Of the launch titles the only one that really interested me was PGR3 for long term online fun. Got fifa as well to play against friends when they got their xboxes.

Game had a load come in online today so its worth checking them again tommorow.

Associate
DaveyD said:

I think it's down to the game as well. I've got a sammy LW32R41BD and I have noticed tearing in PD Zero and a little bit on Kameo (If you spin the view round quickly it can be noticed). It isn't that bad and certainly doesn't put me of the game. I was worried it was my Sammy so tried them on a Toshiba 28" CRT telly and the tearing was visible on that as well.

I just thought it was whether a game is programmed to use Vsync or not a bit like the PC. I know that some games on the PC get really bad tearing unless I enable Vsync from within the game or display applet. HL2 is a good example of this.

Anyway, it is nowhere near bad enough to really be a problem, I hardly even notice it to be honest.

Soldato
DaveyD said:

There was a problem with the Samsungs when putting 720p into at using component but a firmware update fixes it. I never bothered, just output it at 1080i and let the TV downscale it. Works fine. Didn't trust the update cos it was killing some TVs, and creating colour banding on others.

Soldato
Hope you don't mind me asking a few questions as well, im considering buying but im not sure if its worth it yet, im not really in any rush so can wait for ages if need be.

Do the old xbox games run in say 720p even if they're only 480p?

Do most games make use of AA and other graphics improvements?

Do they perform better?

Is it worth buying to make use of HD mainly for old games atm?

Can you give me some idea of what to expect from older games and whats your opinions of them on the 360?

Thanks.

Soldato
NokkonWud said:
Definitely CoD2, most rewarding gaming experience I've had since Max Payne 2. Play it on Veteran from the start.

Can't agree more! Playing missions like Point Du Hoc on veteran difficultly level really makes you think before just running and shooting.

I was so annoyed when my 360 died in the middle of that mission on veteran level. :( Ah well replacement should be with me tomorow! ANd I have it on pc too. (I like it quite a lot lol)

Associate
OP
Right then chaps - i got my 360 this morning and stayed for as long as i could at work before the urge to game got the better of me and i was off! Bought COD2 on my way home as i had heard it was great and liked the original on the PC.

Seems that i have now signed up to xbox Live and i appear to have a months worth of Gold membership for free for some reason?

Im currently trying to install the media expander bit of software on my laptop so i can stream music from it - so ive gone to xbox.com/pcsetup, and tried installing the bit of software for XP SP2 but it just extracts the files and then doesnt do anything else...what am i doing wrong?!

Man of Honour
You get a free months worth of Gold membership when you register a new Xbox live account on your new 360.

You may need .NET 2.0 installed on your PC to install the media connect, check it's not installed itself in your start menu somewhere. Not really sure on media connect issues though.

Back
Top Bottom