Subnet Mask, help, or something

Imy

Imy

Soldato
Quick question about how you're testing this.

You're connecting the modem to your pc directly in order to make these posts. Are you then disconnecting it before testing the router?

Soldato
OP
Yup, i unplug the ethernet cable from the computer, leaving it in the modem, pluging the said cable into the router, then plugging the ethernet cable from port 4, to my computer, which is the correct way of doing it...as have 2 other computers connected, which have the same problem....this one is really doing my head in.

Imy

Imy

Soldato
Woohoo!

Right next thing to do is configure the router settings to match the modem's. If you don't have the modem's settings to hand then connect the modem to your pc and go to start > run > cmd. Type ipconfig/all and jot down all the relevant details for your pc's ethernet adapter. Unplug the modem then go back to the router's config pages and enter the settings on applicable pages.

Finally reconnect the modem to your router's WAN port and test it all again.

Soldato
OP
well ive done all that and no joy, it still doesnt pick up anything at all, this is just going around in circles and doesnt seem to be getting us anywhere, at this point, im inclined to say lets just forget it unless there is, something else you can think of.

Soldato
KnightStalker said:
well ive done all that and no joy, it still doesnt pick up anything at all, this is just going around in circles and doesnt seem to be getting us anywhere, at this point, im inclined to say lets just forget it unless there is, something else you can think of.

So you are saying when you plug the modem directly into the NIC on your PC you don't get a DHCP IP address correct? If so it sound like a problem with the modem. What is the make of modem? does it have a factory reset that you know of?

Soldato
OP
no no, i get the DHCP IP when directly connecting to my computer as stated in the thread, its when i try and connect everything through the router, which untill yesterday was working fine, and like i said the Subnet mask changed and all hell has broke loose.

Soldato
Ok as said before, connect the modem directly to the computer

click start -> run -> type "cmd".
In the command box that comes up type "ipconfig /all"

From the details that come up look for the one that says "DHCP Server"

Tell us the IP address your PC is getting and the IP address that you found above. also the subnet mask (if it's changed from 255.255.254.0)

Soldato
KnightStalker said:
ok for the IP, 82.47.180.135
subnet 255.255.254.0
DHCP 62.30.240.178

does any of that make sense to anyone? sure dont to me lol :p

Ok, and is the internet working ok when directly connected?

If so, put it back into the router, and connect to the router config page.

On the internet connection config page, is the router set to pickup an IP by DHCP?

Go to the router status page (the one that shows things like LAN IP, WAN IP, etc
What does it say under IP adress and subnet mask for the internet(wan) port?

Soldato
OP
Internet Port
MAC Address 00:0F:B5:3A:F6:28
IP Address 0.0.0.0
DHCP Client
IP Subnet Mask None
Domain Name Server None

thats what i get in the status page, under internet settings

under the Lan port settings i get this

LAN Port
MAC Address 00:0F:B5:3A:F6:27