Subwoofer Advice

Man of Honour
First things first.

I already have a BK Gemini II which I have to say does a decent job.

As it stands I can only site a subwoofer in once place in the room due to room layout and keeping the wife happy. Also due to keeping the wife happy the subwoofer is hidden under a wooden box that matches the current furniture.

The likelyhood is that the living room furniture is going to be replaced at some point in the near future and the box covering the subwoofer will go. This means the small black ash BK Gemini II also needs to go, and my wife has agreed to a glossy black subwoofer in it's place.

This has basically lead me to the BK XXLS400-DF, which is glossy black on the front and both sides. It is also of a similar size to the box covering the existing subwoofer at around 40 x 40 x 46 cm (the box is 35 x 35 x 50cm

Anything front firing is out because she doesn't want a speaker grill on show.

The Monolith and Monolith Plus are too big for the space available.

AV set up is for movie watching only.

The other speakers are 5 x Q Acoustic i7000 and a pair of Dali Alteco heights and are unlikely to change at all due their to wife pleasing size and not breaking the bank.

Amp is Denon X2300. This may change but only to add more two channels for rear heights.

TL;DR

Is there anything else I should consider apart from the BK XXLS400-DF that is:

Down firing, glossy black finish, a footprint of around 40 x 40 cm and preferably less than £600.

Thanks

Man of Honour
OP
Bk wise there is the Double Gem, but is it definitely not possible to fit a Mono + there? Looks like it'd squeeze in there and be a nice extra table looking at the pic!

Double Gem is Front Firing, so that's out.

The Monolith has a 54 x 42 cm footprint. That's 19cm wider than the box that's there, so it just doesn't fit the in the space available.

Man of Honour
OP
Sounds like you need to grow some ******** and put your foot down :cry:

More seriously, check out the BK P12-300. It’s 400D x 450H x 400W and gloss black is an option.

Any reason why that would be a better choice? Apart from the lower price. On paper it looks like the same sub with a lower wattage amplifier. Or am I missing something?

Soldato
Any reason why that would be a better choice? Apart from the lower price. On paper it looks like the same sub with a lower wattage amplifier. Or am I missing something?
I'd be amazed if you were maxing out a sub anyway. I've got a p12 and my living room is about 25 sqm and it's below half on the volume for it.

Soldato

Cheaper, the driver excursion is longer and it also has Auto-Power, if this is any use to you.
It performs brilliantly. I recently bought one and I’m blown away for the price.

As mentioned above, regarding power, you’ll probably have the gain set about half way on the P12-300.

Last edited:
Caporegime

It's only better for movie usage. The bk xxls400 is the better a rounder and music usage.

So if you don't listen to music at all it's a better subwoofer as it's ported.

The sealed xxls400 recovers faster so it's better for music which tends to be much faster paced than the bass in movies.

FYI I went for the xxls 400 because I like music and when I have guests over tend to play some music in the background.

Soldato
It's only better for movie usage. The bk xxls400 is the better a rounder and music usage.

So if you don't listen to music at all it's a better subwoofer as it's ported.

The sealed xxls400 recovers faster so it's better for music which tends to be much faster paced than the bass in movies.

FYI I went for the xxls 400 because I like music and when I have guests over tend to play some music in the background.

Think you might have the sub mixed up. The P12-300, just like the Xxls 400, is sealed. Its good for both music and movies.

Soldato
Within your budget, cost for performance, it’s pretty much BK. The downside is build time, mine took over 4 weeks.

Hit the nail on the head there.

The BK XXLS400 is what you really want to go for, the monolith is decent but can be a little flabby/boomy.

I'd be amazed if you were maxing out a sub anyway. I've got a p12 and my living room is about 25 sqm and it's below half on the volume for it.

That's not the volume, it's the gain knob.

For a 25spm room you should try a second sub or a larger single if you don't have the space for 2. I run x2 12" 500W subs in the same sized space and I would never go back to something like a single Monolith (what I upgraded from), you can really feel them pressurise the room when needed :D

Soldato
Hit the nail on the head there.

The BK XXLS400 is what you really want to go for, the monolith is decent but can be a little flabby/boomy.

That's not the volume, it's the gain knob.

For a 25spm room you should try a second sub or a larger single if you don't have the space for 2. I run x2 12" 500W subs in the same sized space and I would never go back to something like a single Monolith (what I upgraded from), you can really feel them pressurise the room when needed :D
I know it's gain, I just wasnt being technical:p. I wouldn't be able to fit another sub in anyway as one wall is open plan so no space for a sub. I'm not sure what I'd gain, it's plenty loud for the room.

Caporegime
Had a look and it looks like the ported 300 model has been replaced with a sealed version.

That's a shame their range is all too similar now with just small upgrades in size and power between models.

The double gem is also a new model. Interesting. I wonder how successful that has been. Surely you would just get a bigger single sub?

Associate
I have the xxls400 DF, I got to replace an old KEF sub that stopped working. It was a grade B but I am yet to understand why. Finished in light oak, I have to say most people have no idea it’s a sub it’s finished better then most furniture.

Performance I am no expert but for me it’s flawless like all good subs you only notice it when you turn if off.

I can not recommend it too much, I do wonder how it compares with the newer ones especially the one that has the passive radiator. The double gem does nothing for me!

Back
Top Bottom