1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

subwoofer wire question

Discussion in 'Home Cinema & Hi-Fi' started by SameSuspect, 24 Mar 2006.

1. SameSuspect

PermaBanned

I have a spare subwoofer in my room which doesnt get used, and a subwoofer out port on my technics hifi that also doesnt get used because it uses the "RCA" format but the wire on the subwoofer uses a standard connection that clips in to a dvd player. is their a converter or a way of using the sub on the hifi? thanx

2. -=Maxed=-

Hitman

Dose the extra sub have a amplifier in it? sounds like its passive....

Last edited: 24 Mar 2006
  3. Matblack

Capodecina

Take pics and give us the models of the items in question and we will try to help, right now your not being specific enough

MB

4. SameSuspect

PermaBanned

im not sure what model it is as it was a part of a cheap dvd system which broke a whole back, it has no stickers on it. their are no buttons, switches on it, just the connection port. so i dont think it has an amp.

5. Burbleflop

PermaBanned

Passive then.

6. Topgun

Hitman

The short answer is that it's not worth trying to get it working. You would need to buy an amplifier for it or build some kind of crossover system so that you could power the sub from the high level outputs on the Technics. You could purchase a better quality sub on even a modest budget. If anything, using a cheap sub will just make things sound much worse!

Try seaching auction sites for Mordaunt Short etc. I frequently see MS 309s go for £115 ish buy it now.

Last edited: 25 Mar 2006