• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Suitable Upgrade from a Ryzen 5 3600

Associate
So as stated in the title I currently have a ryzen 5 3600 and am looking for an upgrade sometime soon. I have already upgraded to an MSI B550 Gaming Edge WiFi and have an NZXT X73 so cooling isn't really that big of an issue. Would I be better off waiting for the new 4000 series of cpu's or getting an upgrade now? Suggestions appreciated!
:)

DECISION HAS BEEN MADE - THREAD CLOSED

Last edited:
Soldato
You already have a current gen CPU so no. There's higher tiers but that's something you should have considered at the time you choose the 3600. It's a bit late now since new stuff will be out soon.

The 4700 will be a logical upgrade if the 3600 is too slow but they're not released yet.

Man of Honour
So as stated in the title I currently have a ryzen 5 3600 and am looking for an upgrade sometime soon. I have already upgraded to an MSI B550 Gaming Edge WiFi and have an NZXT X73 so cooling isn't really that big of an issue. Would I be better off waiting for the new 4000 series of cpu's or getting an upgrade now? Suggestions appreciated!
:)

This surely has to be a troll? That rig can only be what a month old given it has b550? I don't get why you wouldn't have just bought the right cpu then unless you upgraded boards for some obscure reason? What do you do with the machine?

Associate
OP
This surely has to be a troll? That rig can only be what a month old given it has b550? I don't get why you wouldn't have just bought the right cpu then unless you upgraded boards for some obscure reason? What do you do with the machine?
Basically I got a really great deal on a used prebuilt but the only bad thing was its motherboard, so I gutted the system, put it in a new case and then upgraded the motherboard. The previous motherboard was still using PCIe 2.0 and was really limiting my speeds. I usually edit 4k and 8k video as well as some intense gaming...

Associate
OP
This is key. I'm pretty interested in what regular home users are struggling with that they need more CPU power than the 3600. Is it video processing mainly?
Yes mainly, I am a drone hobbyist and usually you record in d-log mode to edit later - all at 4k and 8k so pretty CPU intensive...

Associate
Not really struggling, it gets the job done but takes longer, but I'd like more cores as I usually edit 4k and 8k video
If it gets the job done then your best bet is to just ride it for a little while longer till Zen 3 is released, that's about four months tops and you may find the IPC gains actually are a genuine benefit you if you're doing 8K.

Associate
OP
Is there a reason you need to upgrade from 6 cores?

Your next jump is a 3900x btw, or wait for Zen 3.
It is mainly due to the fact that I video edit quite a lot in both 4k and 8k so it would be useful to have a cpu with more cores and a higher clock speed.
I'll probably wait until the ryzen 4000 series before I upgrade. Thanks :)

Soldato
Probably best waiting...even though it feels like everyone's waiting for the Zen 3's and/or next gen CPU's to hit. Hopefully the new stuff will make the current gens prices drop.

Man of Honour
I love my TR it's a proper man sized cpu, although I can't make head nor tale of this thread, perhaps i'm just missing something but A pre build with a Ryzen 3600 and a pci-e 2 motherboard? I mean is that even a thing? PCI-e 3 sure but then you would still have masses of speed available and are unlikely to be saturating PCi-e storage. I just don't get it. Then you have the fact that on b550 you get what 1 gen 4 nvme? If I/O is your thing like it is mine (I run x399) then b550 seems a poor choice against x570.

OP - Wait for ryzen 4000 or buy a threadripper. That is pretty much the guts of it. BTW what b550 did you go for?

Back
Top Bottom