1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Summer Job and Tax

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Burt, 6 Jun 2006.

1. Burt

Hitman

About to take up a job (hopefully) working for a bank's call center. Hours will likely be full time. I'm wondering whether or not I'm going to have to pay tax. Presumably my income for a whole year would be enough to warrant forking out to the tax man, but I'm only intending on holding onto the job until September (3 months or so). Will I get refunded the money (if I have to pay) at some point? Sorry for the naíve questions of a lazy student. :p

2. Morba

Caporegime

you will pay as if it will be for the full tax year, but when you stop working at end of year you will get a tax rebate.

iirc

3. Ciba

Hitman

Whats the bottom tax bracket up to which you dont have to pay tax if you earn under it?

4. penski

PermaBanned

Depends on your tax code; about £5k for most if I recall correctly.

*n

5. iBankAllDay

Mobster

Yup, personal allowance is £5,035. And what Morba said is right too!

What bank dude?

6. chippie

Wise Guy

If you are normally in full time education, and this is just a holiday job, and you know that in this tax year (6 April 2006 to 5 April 2007) you will earn less than the personal allowance, which is £5035, then ask your employer for a form P38(s) to complete, then give it back to them.

Then you won't pay tax.

7. Stellios

Capodecina

Thought it was £47XX?

8. penski

PermaBanned

That was last year; most people are on 503L or similar this year.

*n

9. chippie

Wise Guy

This year 2006/07 it is £5035
    last year, 2005/06 it was £4895
    The year before, 2004/05 it was £4745
    The year before that, 2003/04 it was £4615
    etc etc etc....

10. Stellios

Capodecina

OK, i was only out by a few years :p

11. Burt

Hitman

Bank of Scotland.

And cheers for the info chaps!

12. iBankAllDay

Mobster

Welcome to HBoS then ;).

13. Melm0

Wise Guy

Hey,
    I wondered if i can ask a similar question and steal your thread for a post or two?
    :p
    I got my first ever payslip (n00b) about a week ago and for the month i worked, i got £305.52. I only work Saturday & Sunday just to raise some extra cash for my trip to Peru next year. However, i also had £68.30 deducted from the £305.52 ( :( need all the cash i can get! Rawr give me it back!)
    Now if i earn around about the same amount each month, in a year i should get about £3666.24...

So if i earn less than that "personal allowance" and i'm still in full-time education, should i get taxed on anything?

I'm guessing there is a form i have to fill in but have no idea what it is called.

Grateful for any help

Ta Mel :)

14. Sequoia

Wise Guy

Being in full-time education isn't the issue: if you earn over your allowances, you pay tax.

However, unless your employer is given your tax code when (or before) you start work, they'll assume (and are required to do so) that you don't have any available allowances. If that happens, you'll get taxed on ALL your pay. But even on that basis, you should only be paying about £45/month, so that £68.30 looks rather high. I'd query that if I were you, and ensure you get your tax code to your employer (and get one from the Revenue if you haven't got it).

Once that code goes into the system, it should stop you getting taxed any more, and you should get what youy've already paid back, either via PAYE refund or by directly claiming it at year-end.

15. benjo plz.

Capodecina

P45 I believe. ;)

16. Guv

Mobster

Chippie was right, it's a P38

I filled them in when working when I was back from uni for the summer last year and the year before. By filling one of those in I didn't get taxed while working.
    You still have to expect to be under the personal allowance during the tax year to be able to use one of these forms.

17. benjo plz.

Capodecina

Maybe. I got taxed and needed a P45 to get it back :o.

18. Guv

Mobster

A P45 is what you get when you leave your employer. It shows a record of your pay and the amount of tax deducted as well as other info like tax code.

A P38 is entirely different, it's just used so students do not get taxed at all while working, assuming it's just a temporary summer job not exceeding the personal allowance.

19. Messiah Khan

Capodecina

It will be that high, as Melm0 will be on an emergency tax code, which is stupidly high.

20. Rich1988

Soldato

melmo your 16 right?, im 17 also in full time education work at waitrose and I dont get taxed at all :confused: last payslip only had -5.44 bank holiday compensation (what *** hells bank holiday compensation)