Summer Transfer Window 2020/21 - Rumours & Signings *please quote sources*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Its a good deal but his salary is reportedly ridiculous hence why we have backed down. If he is being paid over 200k a week thats insane money and i dont blame Liverpool for pulling out.

Don
If we want(ed) him then we'd get him. He's dropped his pants and bent over for Klopp in every interview he's given to the UK press this year. I've never been fussed about us signing another striker because nobody is starting ahead of Firmino on a regular basis but he was the only one that I wanted because he could also play out wide. Ultimately he would only be a 4th option for us - maybe with budgets cut the club couldn't justify spending £50m+ on somebody that wouldnt' start regularly and or we're signing Havertz instead.

Soldato
Whilst window isn't officially open rumours have already started.

Chelsea have agreed in principle to get Werner according to Skysports.

Gutted to miss out on him, really think we should have jumped on such a low release clause. Instead stuck with origi ! :(

Caporegime
Its a good deal but his salary is reportedly ridiculous hence why we have backed down. If he is being paid over 200k a week thats insane money and i dont blame Liverpool for pulling out.
That is in no way ridiculous for a striker with his strike rate. I’d be happy for us to pay Auba £250-300k a week for 3 years.

The only caveat being obviously that Auba is a proven premier league striker.

Soldato
If we want(ed) him then we'd get him. He's dropped his pants and bent over for Klopp in every interview he's given to the UK press this year. I've never been fussed about us signing another striker because nobody is starting ahead of Firmino on a regular basis but he was the only one that I wanted because he could also play out wide. Ultimately he would only be a 4th option for us - maybe with budgets cut the club couldn't justify spending £50m+ on somebody that wouldnt' start regularly and or we're signing Havertz instead.
How would he be 4th choice?

Yes mane/Salah can play up top but then the back ups for them aren't as good either.

Origi is also crap on the left, I won't dispute he saved us on occasions but isn't good enough for Liverpool on a whole.

I haven't seen havertz to comment on if he would suit us, to me each time I've seen Werner he would fit.

Don
How would he be 4th choice?

Yes mane/Salah can play up top but then the back ups for them aren't as good either.

Origi is also crap on the left, I won't dispute he saved us on occasions but isn't good enough for Liverpool on a whole.

I haven't seen havertz to comment on if he would suit us, to me each time I've seen Werner he would fit.
He'd be 4th choice because he's not as good and wouldn't be picked (regularly) ahead of our current front 3. Also you seem to be under the assumption that he'd have been signed primarily as cover/competition for Firmino. I really don't think that would have been the case. He's a completely different type of player to Firmino, in fact if you were to compare him to any of our forwards it would be Salah. Had he signed he'd have been primarily signed as another option in the attacking wide positions that could also play through the middle if needed.

As for Havertz, he's the closest thing to Firmino around. The problem with him is that he'd be behind Firmino too but wouldn't be able to play in the wide roles.

Caporegime
Firmino is 31 I think? Realistically he has two more seasons before he starts to decline and will likely want to go back to Brazil before retiring. Having cover for MSF is no bad thing. We could actually fight a bit more for a cup and realistically we’ve been incredibly lucky none of them have been out with a serious long term injury so far.

Soldato
He'd be 4th choice because he's not as good and wouldn't be picked (regularly) ahead of our current front 3. Also you seem to be under the assumption that he'd have been signed primarily as cover/competition for Firmino. I really don't think that would have been the case. He's a completely different type of player to Firmino, in fact if you were to compare him to any of our forwards it would be Salah. Had he signed he'd have been primarily signed as another option in the attacking wide positions that could also play through the middle if needed.

As for Havertz, he's the closest thing to Firmino around. The problem with him is that he'd be behind Firmino too but wouldn't be able to play in the wide roles.

Werner can be play in any of the front 3 positions, your honestly saying you wouldn't of taken him? Rather we kept to having lallana and origi who come on?

As for Havertz as I say I can't comment on him but quick Google shows his asking price seems to be double.

We need to have stronger bench options plus whose to say at some stage one of our front 3 goes off boil, realistically no one from our bench would be seen as a long term option imo

Also our front three have been together awhile now mixing it up isn't a bad thing plus keeps them on there toes, and as above Bobby is 31, I can't see him ending his career with us

Don
Werner can be play in any of the front 3 positions, your honestly saying you wouldn't of taken him? Rather we kept to having lallana and origi who come on?

As for Havertz as I say I can't comment on him but quick Google shows his asking price seems to be double.

We need to have stronger bench options plus whose to say at some stage one of our front 3 goes off boil, realistically no one from our bench would be seen as a long term option imo

Also our front three have been together awhile now mixing it up isn't a bad thing plus keeps them on there toes, and as above Bobby is 31, I can't see him ending his career with us
Mark, read my first post. I said that he's the one striker that I would sign. That doesn't change the fact that he'd be signed as a 4th option for our front line. I wanted him (or another) because I agree that we need more, better attacking cover but I can only assume that from the clubs point of view that they weren't willing to pay out £50m odd and £10-15m per season in wages on somebody that wouldn't be a guaranteed starter, especially in the current circumstances. Fwiw, I think we all agreed that we needed better options last season and the season before too yet here we are about to hit 200 points over 2 seasons, collecting a CL and League title on the way.

And Bobby's 31? :confused: He's 28.

Soldato
Mark, read my first post. I said that he's the one striker that I would sign. That doesn't change the fact that he'd be signed as a 4th option for our front line. I wanted him (or another) because I agree that we need more, better attacking cover but I can only assume that from the clubs point of view that they weren't willing to pay out £50m odd and £10-15m per season in wages on somebody that wouldn't be a guaranteed starter, especially in the current circumstances. Fwiw, I think we all agreed that we needed better options last season and the season before too yet here we are about to hit 200 points over 2 seasons, collecting a CL and League title on the way.

And Bobby's 31? :confused: He's 28.
I genuinely thought he was least 30/31

Apologies I missed part of your post. I think that's happened due to how good our main XI is but at some stage that won't last so freshening it up imo wouldn't be a bad thing

Man of Honour
I'm going to be completely honest here...I am absolutely gutted that we didnt go in for Werner. I think he is going to be superb in the EPL. To be honest I think that Mane is on borrowed time because I think he has his eyes firmly set elsewhere and Werner now for 50m would have been a great deal imo. The wages are a lot of course but this guy is absolutely top drawer and worth it. Havertz would be good and all but Werner was right at the top of my wanted list and I am doubley gutted that not only did we not get him but he's gone to a rival in the league too. He will prove to be a real bargain I reckon. Fantastic business by Lampard and Chelsea, I'd be well pumped if I was a Chelsea supporter right now.

Don
I genuinely thought he was least 30/31

Apologies I missed part of your post. I think that's happened due to how good our main XI is but at some stage that won't last so freshening it up imo wouldn't be a bad thing
I've learned to trust Klopp, Edwards and co, they've repeatedly proven us all wrong. I agree that we need another attacking option but don't get so hung up about a striker. I've always said that our priority should be another Mane or Coutinho type player. Signing another striker, even somebody like Werner that can play wide, was never going to improve our first 11, it was only going to give us greater depth. With the exception of late on in a game when you're chasing a goal, you'd have never seen Werner, Mane, Salah and Firmino on the pitch together. If we could sign a 2nd Mane or a Coutinho type player then they would give us the greater depth that we require but also give us the option of playing all 4 in the side too - another Mane type and you could play a 4-2-3-1 or a Coutinho type player could play in a midfield 3 (as well as a front 3) and also in the 3 of a 4-2-3-1.

Soldato
I've seen Werner a few times and don't think that he's as good as everyone is saying, personally. He's a fast, straight line striker. Don't get me wrong, he's good and will score goals, but he'll never come close to Bobby centrally, and won't be as good wide as Salah or Mane.

It's good business for Chelsea and the price they've paid seems right for him, but in all honesty I think Ziyech would have made more sense for us than Werner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom