Summer Transfer Window 2020/21 - Rumours & Signings *please quote sources*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Can't believe we have only brought in VDB as reinforcement whilst all our rivals have strengthened a lot.

I can believe it - we're in an extremely poor position in regards to bringing in new players because we have so much dead wood that we struggle to shift because there is little interest from clubs to buy them, and even when there is, these clubs can't or aren't willing to pay their wages.

Rumoured salaries:
  • Mata - £8M per year
  • Rojo - £4M per year
  • Phil Jones - £4M per year
  • Dalot - £2M per year
  • Lingard - £4M per year
  • Smalling - £3.6M per year

Caporegime
Lots of heat around Telles now. Not saying I have watched him much but my Portuguese friends at work rate him. He is their main corner taker, penalty taker and scored a few outfield goals last season. Seems a bit in the mould of Denis Irwin which is not a bad thing.

I would be happy if we got him.

Associate
I cant see the likes of Lingard or Pereira going anywhere anytime soon - other clubs just wont pay their wages.....unless we do a deal like a'la Sanchez
We desperately need another CB - Lingard is too slow and keeps getting caught out of position, Bailly is made of glass (I had high hopes for him)

Soldato
I cant see the likes of Lingard or Pereira going anywhere anytime soon - other clubs just wont pay their wages.....unless we do a deal like a'la Sanchez
We desperately need another CB - Lingard is too slow and keeps getting caught out of position, Bailly is made of glass (I had high hopes for him)

*Lindelof?

If anyones slow and gets caught its Maguire. Both are as bad as each other imo.

Lots of heat around Telles now. Not saying I have watched him much but my Portuguese friends at work rate him. He is their main corner taker, penalty taker and scored a few outfield goals last season. Seems a bit in the mould of Denis Irwin which is not a bad thing.

I would be happy if we got him.

I ask this question every single time a signing like this is muted and I would have the new Chelsea GK.

Why at 27 is he only likely to join a top 5 league? He was on loan at Inter, he wanted to stay but Inter turned down the option to pay 8.5mil euros...why?

Only time will tell and you so lack well anything down that left hand side so anything is better then nothing.

Caporegime
*Lindelof?

If anyones slow and gets caught its Maguire. Both are as bad as each other imo.

I ask this question every single time a signing like this is muted and I would have the new Chelsea GK.

Why at 27 is he only likely to join a top 5 league? He was on loan at Inter, he wanted to stay but Inter turned down the option to pay 8.5mil euros...why?

Only time will tell and you so lack well anything down that left hand side so anything is better then nothing.

Bruno Fernandes went to Udinese and came back to Sporting and the rest is history. Di Maria and Sanchez were all high profile and ended up as dogs dinner.

VDS joined United from Fulham for 2 Million at 35 years old and was arguably our second best keeper only to the Great Dane.

Don
VDS was the most overrated keeper of all time. He was a million miles behind Schmeichel and De Gea. People only rated him because he came after Utd went through a period of having some terrible keepers and he played in a very good defensive side.

Caporegime
VDS was the most overrated keeper of all time. He was a million miles behind Schmeichel and De Gea. People only rated him because he came after Utd went through a period of having some terrible keepers and he played in a very good defensive side.

Terrible keeper okay.

"Van der Sar is one of the most decorated and successful footballers ever, having won 26 major trophies in his career, mainly at Ajax and Manchester United.[8] Van der Sar also set numerous records in his career. In the 2008–09 season he set the world league clean sheet record by not conceding a single goal for 1,311 minutes.[9] Until 2017 he was the most capped player for the Netherlands national team, with 130 caps, until Wesley Sneijder surpassed him. He is also the oldest player to win the Premier League, at 40 years and 205 days old. Van der Sar has won several individual awards, including Best European Goalkeeper in 1995 and 2009, and UEFA Club Goalkeeper of the Year in 2009."

Soldato
Bruno Fernandes went to Udinese and came back to Sporting and the rest is history. Di Maria and Sanchez were all high profile and ended up as dogs dinner.

VDS joined United from Fulham for 2 Million at 35 years old and was arguably our second best keeper only to the Great Dane.

The rest is history? A few months of pens isnt history lol.

VDS joined United after 6 years of playing at the top flight...it isnt comparable.

Soldato
there is a sense though in which a keeper is aided by the defence. Take Pickford for example. He had a good season when Everton had a well-drilled tight defence. With a weaker defence he's distinctly average. Other keepers similarly.

Soldato
there is a sense though in which a keeper is aided by the defence. Take Pickford for example. He had a good season when Everton had a well-drilled tight defence. With a weaker defence he's distinctly average. Other keepers similarly.

I cant remember Pickford ever having a good season tbh. I know im a Liverpool fan so there may be a tinge (lol) of bias but he was dropping clangers in his first season that just got over looked. IMO its only last season that his clangers have got him in the spotlight.

Caporegime
The rest is history? A few months of pens isnt history lol.

VDS joined United after 6 years of playing at the top flight...it isnt comparable.

I am not comparing. I was simply replying to your comment of why Telles at 27 hasn't been picked up by a top 5 club. Some transfers aren't big but end up to be decent. Denis Irwin came from nothing and is arguably one of the best left backs to grace the premier league. Vidic and Evra cost nothing as well.

Soldato
I cant remember Pickford ever having a good season tbh. I know im a Liverpool fan so there may be a tinge (lol) of bias but he was dropping clangers in his first season that just got over looked. IMO its only last season that his clangers have got him in the spotlight.
I think it was the year after Leceister won. I had him in my ff team and he didn't do too badly on the points.

edit just looked up the stats, probably the one after that 2017-2018 hence his world cup bearth. Pope was still better though, just a shame he got injured at the wrong moment.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Terrible keeper okay.

"Van der Sar is one of the most decorated and successful footballers ever, having won 26 major trophies in his career, mainly at Ajax and Manchester United.[8] Van der Sar also set numerous records in his career. In the 2008–09 season he set the world league clean sheet record by not conceding a single goal for 1,311 minutes.[9] Until 2017 he was the most capped player for the Netherlands national team, with 130 caps, until Wesley Sneijder surpassed him. He is also the oldest player to win the Premier League, at 40 years and 205 days old. Van der Sar has won several individual awards, including Best European Goalkeeper in 1995 and 2009, and UEFA Club Goalkeeper of the Year in 2009."

You should try reading, he didn't call VDS a terrible keeper.

Also the trophies and clean sheets are team stats so don't instantly make him amazing

Caporegime
You should try reading, he didn't call VDS a terrible keeper.

Also the trophies and clean sheets are team stats so don't instantly make him amazing

You don't have a career spanning 21 years, winning two European cups and playing for the best teams in Dutch, Italian and English leagues by being overrated. Liverpool hatred to anything related to United on this forum is just getting boring now.

Don
Terrible keeper okay.
I clearly didn't call him a terrible keeper, I said he was overrated. Your post sums up why - he played in front of a very good defence and fairly defensive side at Utd which contributed to the clean sheets.

As a Liverpool supporter whenever we would play vs Utd during Schmeichel's time or when De Gea knew how to catch (or peak Cech & Courtois at Chelsea) I always felt that we'd have to be absolutely clinical to score, that was never the case with VDS. He was like Brad Friedle at Blackburn, a solid, reliable Premier League keeper that didn't make loads of mistakes but equally didn't pull off unreal saves either.
You don't have a career spanning 21 years, winning two European cups and playing for the best teams in Dutch, Italian and English leagues by being overrated.
He had 2 seasons at Juve when they weren't very good and then ended up at Fulham :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom