Summer Transfer Window 2020/21 - Rumours & Signings *please quote sources*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
I have just accepted that we are not a well run club when it comes to football business.

By all accounts the primary target was Sancho and Woodward thought Dortmund would reduce their price near the end of the window, when there was never any indication that would happen.

Van de Beek was only done well due to Van Der Sar's involvement. Not that he was really a critical signing, would have been better on a defensive midfielder or centre back.

So, things are going to probably go from bad to worse in the not too distant future.

As part of a number of signings I would have called Cavani great business, as he offers something we don't have in playstyle and experience. Same with Telles, I think he's probably going to be a good upgrade at left back at least offensively.

Everything being done last minute just smacks of desperation and disorganisation. Happens every year, it's pathetic.

It's also rumoured the Glazers said our net spend had to be around £50m, and that is never going to be close to enough to make up ground on other teams in Europe. Whenever we finish in the top 4, the purse strings are seriously tightened. I think our net spend has been around £40m...

Best case scenario for me is getting Poch in soon and giving him all the support he needs. I don't see a director of football on the horizon, Woodward clearly thinks he can do better. Fool.

Caporegime
I have just accepted that we are not a well run club when it comes to football business.

By all accounts the primary target was Sancho and Woodward thought Dortmund would reduce their price near the end of the window, when there was never any indication that would happen.

Van de Beek was only done well due to Van Der Sar's involvement. Not that he was really a critical signing, would have been better on a defensive midfielder or centre back.

So, things are going to probably go from bad to worse in the not too distant future.

As part of a number of signings I would have called Cavani great business, as he offers something we don't have in playstyle and experience. Same with Telles, I think he's probably going to be a good upgrade at left back at least offensively.

Everything being done last minute just smacks of desperation and disorganisation. Happens every year, it's pathetic.

It's also rumoured the Glazers said our net spend had to be around £50m, and that is never going to be close to enough to make up ground on other teams in Europe. Whenever we finish in the top 4, the purse strings are seriously tightened. I think our net spend has been around £40m...

Best case scenario for me is getting Poch in soon and giving him all the support he needs. I don't see a director of football on the horizon, Woodward clearly thinks he can do better. Fool.

Cavani is everything we do not want. Martial is our future of the club. I was expecting him to push on and score even more goals this season. Now if we want to play Cavani he will have to be pushed out wide. Unless Cavani is simply a squad bench player which I am then more than happy with.

Signing Sancho the player is of no issue to me. Greenwood has the potential to become even greater it is just the way everything has been done. If United came out and said on the 10th August we are not paying that so goodbye it would have been fine but they have tried to do the deal all the way to the end. Those two kid wingers signed last minute just prove that.

Man of Honour
Cavani is everything we do not want. Martial is our future of the club. I was expecting him to push on and score even more goals this season. Now if we want to play Cavani he will have to be pushed out wide. Unless Cavani is simply a squad bench player which I am then more than happy with.

I don't think Martial will ever be a natural no 9. There will be a lot of rotation this season so more options are not a bad thing.

Soldato
I don't think Martial will ever be a natural no 9. There will be a lot of rotation this season so more options are not a bad thing.
Martial is extremely flaky and goes missing in games. He has gotten better, but these last few haven’t been great for him. Fingers crossed he’s in good form and knocking them in by Christmas. I can’t see him ever being our main threat though.

I’d say Greenwood has more chance of being that in due course or an as yet unsigned player.

Man of Honour
9 months ago for the price of Cavani we could have had Haaland for not much more. I admire your positivity but it just stinks. We are no different to Newcastle just a more richer version.

Trust me, I am far from positive about things :p

What makes it frustrating is that we have all the key ingredients to be very successful, the leadership is just shockingly poor.

Soldato
What has that got to do with anything?
One is a club with a loyal local fan base ruined by an outsider swooping in and ruining the club from the inside out. The other while similar in some ways embraced globalisation to grow a dispersed fan-base and market status worldwide and then moans when it bites them in the arse because they didn't put in place sufficient barriers to hostile takeover.

Caporegime
One is a club with a loyal local fan base ruined by an outsider swooping in and ruining the club from the inside out. The other while similar in some ways embraced globalisation to grow a dispersed fan-base and market status worldwide and then moans when it bites them in the arse because they didn't put in place sufficient barriers to hostile takeover.

Still what has that got to do with the fact both clubs have terrible owners with little care for football success?

Man of Honour

Errrrr ok.

Soldato
Still what has that got to do with the fact both clubs have terrible owners with little care for football success?
one brought it on themselves the other were promised one thing and got something very different. You're not a richer version of Newcastle. You're a brand football club who played the global market and now globalisation and capitalist economics are biting you back. I have a lot more sympathy for the magpies tbh.

Edit that's not to say I'm pro glazers or unsympathetic to what's happening there, but you kind of need to blame the old board for not selling non-voting rights shares and putting in place the barriers that would have meant they could have prevented the investment banks et al forcing through the hostile takeover by the Glazers to begin with. Once they're in there isn't much you can now do. On that point you share the same issues as Newcastle. How you got there is very different though.

Last edited:
Don
I didn't think the release causes related to non-spanish clubs.
Previously the player would be hit with a tax bill if the buying club paid the release clause which effectively made them worthless, however there was a gentleman's agreement between La Liga clubs that if one of them offered the amount then it would be accepted but this agreement didn't apply to foreign clubs

Tax rules have now changed and so any buying club can pay the release clause without the player being hit with a massive tax bill, opening these release clauses up to everybody.

Don
I believe the first time a club managed to figure a way around the tax issue was Bayern in 2012 when they signed Javi Martinez but I wasn't aware of this until 2-3 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom