Sun cream for my red car

Soldato
From Meguiars:

Do car waxes provide real UV protection?

Some waxes do contain UV-protection agents, but the amount of protection that a microscopically thin layer of wax can provide is limited

The primary goal of a wax is to protect the top layers of paint that contain UV-protection agents from the paint manufacture. If you wash and wax your car regularly, your paint will be protected and you should suffer no major UV damage over the normal course of the life of the car.

Don't be fooled by some companies that lead you to believe that it is the UV protection in a wax that protects your car's finish from fading and failure, this is dishonest and simply not true. Taking care of the paint you presently have will go further to protect your finish than relying on protection supplied by a liquid you pour out of a bottle, or a wax you scoop out of a can. UV protection in a car wax formula is only an extra-dose of preventative maintenance, not the end-all, cure-all that some companies would lead you to believe.

UV protection for paint is much different from UV blocking ingredients for human skin. The two formulas are nothing alike and work in drastically different ways. There is no correlation between the ratings applied to the different levels of sun blocking protection for products intended for use on human skin and the ingredients available for use in an automotive wax formula. Sad to say, much of what you see advertised about the protective qualities of most car care products on the market today is simply over-exaggerated hype used to separate you from your hard earned dollars.

Soldato
I used that on my calipers. Should stop them getting sun stroke and peeling like an albino child quite nicely.

Brembo lookalike whore :p :D (Mine obviously doesn't have red calipers >_<)

Just get the bodywork done over properly. Washed, clayed, a few good layers of SRP and a hard wearing wax like collonite 476. Not particularly expensive in the grand things of all this scene taxed detailng products, looks great and lasts ages!

Commissario
I've got a ten year old Focus which is still bright red, it hasn't faded at all. It was regularly cleaned when it was new but hasn't had much care and attention for the last three or four years when it comes to the bodywork.

Unlike my old Cavalier which was starting to go pink after about eight years.

Associate
Newer cars have a clear-coat on top of the colour, this stops the fading, something Vauxhall took a while to realise.
Try one of the Supagard/Swissvax treatments for a longer-term protection.

Back
Top Bottom