1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sun Tan Lotion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by philhoole, 21 May 2006.

1. philhoole

Gangster

Does anyone know if sun tan lotion has a shelf life? The half used ones I have from a couple of years ago don't have any expiry date on them and I'd rather not buy new stuff this year because it's just so expensive.

2. Ex-RoNiN

Capodecina

Are £30 worth risking skin cancer over?

3. Grrrrr

Soldato

That is such an OcUK reply

4. Ex-RoNiN

Capodecina

:confused: :confused: :confused:

2 summers I go I found two bottles of sun lotion from a summer that was ages ago. Faced with the same dilemma, I took the sensible option and bought a new (and smaller) bottle.

What does that have to do with OcUK? :confused:

5. philhoole

Gangster

Because (a lot of the time) nobody directly answers the simple question asked. I am fully aware of the risks thank you. If you don't know the answer then don't reply.

Don't want too sound rude as you did reply but it is a stereotypical response.

6. Ex-RoNiN

Capodecina

I gave you a perfectly valid answer - when it comes to health, do not compromise and don't take a risk. How is that not valid :confused: The state of the sun lotion is irrelevant but having said that, whatever material it is, it does deteriorate over time. Hence - don't risk it!

7. Ghuraba

Wise Guy

If I recall the DHA they use in fake tan lotions does degrade over time and become less affective,

Michael

Edit: Just notice you don't mean fake tan lotion.

8. philhoole

Gangster

OK I'll bite. I thought I'd been polite. I know you were well meaning in your response but,

If the companies that sell a product such as sun tan lotion do not print an expiry date on their bottles then perhaps it's not unreasonable to assume that it has an essentially indeffinite life. Why should a product deteriorate over time if the chemical compounds are stable? Do they magically change into something else?

If you knew the reason why things change then you could have put in your reply and I would have been grateful but your answer told me nothing. In fact your answer essentially assumes that I'm stupid because I like to think my life is worth more than £30.

9. Ex-RoNiN

Capodecina

I did not intend to portray you as stupid. I simply wanted to amplify the point that not having an expiry date on it does not mean that the quality of the product does not decay over time - I would say its a reasonable assumption that anything decays over time.

Incidentally, I have had a quick look around and found the following:

Source

So in conclusion, I did not want to make you appear stupid, I had a suspicion which was confirmed, but incidentally also part-confirmed your assumption.

Hope we're cool? :)

10. philhoole

Gangster

We are indeed cool :cool: I didn't know about the 2.5 year expiry legislation which is very interesting.

I just had a quick rummage through my "medical" things and even the tube of toothpaste has an expiry date - 2008. So it was odd when the sun tan lotion didn't have a date even if it was an arbitary one.

As an aside, I wonder how much a bottle of lotion really costs to make? It suits the manufacturers that people like me go to sunny places on holiday with a full intention of getting a tan which is in itself risky and covering myself in their lotion to minimise the damage. Perhaps I am stupid ;)

11. 6thElement

Sgarrista

Buy fake tan and paint yourself orange, no one will notice, honest :p

edit: Should point out I've only used sun block for the last 10 years plus and have no desire to sit on a beach and slowly bake myself. Nor do I wish to paint myself orange :D