Sunglasses

Transmission breaker
Don
Loads of major brands are made by Luxotica. They also own a shed load of the dedicated sunglass outlets!

I swear by classic Aviators, polarised with a mirror finish. Just check the sizing on your face, as there are different options.

You can pick up a legit pair with the polarised lenses for around £140 retail. Then with Quidco cashback (8%) from sunglass hut and deals/haggling you may be able to get a pair for nearer £110.

pricing on aviators does vary wildly with colours of lenses though, so just watch out for that when spec-ing (haha) them up..

Associate
I'd reccomend these from amazon, great build quality, solid metal and very comfortable.. I've had more than one pair from this brand, they are fantastic.

They are also polarized

The aviator variant is great too.. The brand is ATTCL, these ones are the wayfarers.

Ordered those in Gunmetal/Black, Not spending a hundred quid for a pair of sunglasses when you only get sun for a few days in this Country.

Soldato
ive got the maui jim peahi ,with glass lenses ,amazing performance ,clarity ,contrast and definition ,also the general quality of the build and those 2 way sprung hinges for a perfect fit in other words your not just paying for a name ,the only thing that bugs me is i seem to get them greasy really easily but they scratch free ,also the case is superb ,very strong and the lenses dont touch inside

Soldato
Well, that's obvious. But my point was if a multimillionaire is happy to wear a £70 of sunglasses then why are people so easily fooled that they need to spend a few hundred £££s for whatever reason? :confused: I find it interesting...

Call me cynical, but I would hazard a guess that he's happy to wear them because it makes people think that if a multimillionaire is happy to wear them then they must be good and so they go buy a pair = money in his pocket

I swear by classic Aviators, polarised with a mirror finish. Just check the sizing on your face, as there are different options.

You can pick up a legit pair with the polarised lenses for around £140 retail. Then with Quidco cashback (8%) from sunglass hut and deals/haggling you may be able to get a pair for nearer £110.

pricing on aviators does vary wildly with colours of lenses though, so just watch out for that when spec-ing (haha) them up..

Aren't "aviators" just a style rather than a brand?

Until you end up losing them, everybody on the planet who has owned some sunglasses has at some point lost them somewhere

I still have the pair of Oakleys I bought in 2004, although unfortunately they're a bit scratched now - they did give me 40% off a new pair though after I sent them a photo and proof of purchase :D

Soldato
I have a pair of Frogskins in the van for daily driving that I really like, they were £68 on offer I think. I would like some really good polarized ones though because I suffer with glare headaches and the amount of driving I do warrants spending a bit more I think for top lenses.

Any suggestions for Wayfarers with a top quality polarized lens? My only worry is they get quite a bit of use and thrown around in the van so concerned about damage/scratching an expensive pair.

Soldato
I have prescription sunglasses which means the 'cheap' brands aren't really an option, plus when I do buy a pair I expect to be wearing them for a good few years so want them to be 'right' from the outset. I've got 2 pairs of Oakleys with genuine Oakley polarised prescription lenses, first pair were some that I stole from the wife and had reglazed about 10 years ago, second pair were new last year.

Associate
Having had expensive & mega cheap sunglasses I'd just go to TK-Maxx & get whatever you like that is comfy.
Wouldn't bother with polarised but if you do, be sure you can return them easily - they might interfere with the screens in your car depending on how they are orientated.

Soldato
It isn't just about the lenses, it's about the quality of the product and the style/design as well.

You can't just look at a pair that cost X and say they are ridiculously expensive and not worth it to in comparison to Y just because you don't see the value.

No good when the website doesn't work for me though!

Haha, my missus sells second hand designer ladies "stuff".

The amount of times she's said "Look at this bag, it's worth £1k, isn't it amazing?"

Me - "Well it's got pockets, a hole in the top to put things in and handles to carry it with.....yeah that's worth a grand."

To be fair she does claim that with high end bags you can really tell by the finish that they're superior, but even she's got to admit not so much that they'd be worth what they are worth purely on their quality and function.

Caporegime
i still have my oakley juliets, titanium frams and interchangable lenses suit me well. the style is not to everyones liking
dont think i could pull off aviators

Caporegime
I second this. I have 4 pairs. All well made. Don’t think they’re polarised though.

Some of them are polarised. In fact that was their big selling point but they seemed to have removed references to polarised lenses on their UK site, still on their marketing and US site though.

Interesting back story:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/306180593/the-sunglasses-that-will-change-the-business-forev

Essentially the company was set up to break out from the dodgy monopoly in the market.

Got a pair. Almost indestructible frames but lenses are plastic and a bit cheap. Mine are polarised.

Last edited:
Soldato
I still have the pair of Oakleys I bought in 2004, although unfortunately they're a bit scratched now - they did give me 40% off a new pair though after I sent them a photo and proof of purchase :D

You realise you've cursed yourself now and will lose a pair of sunglasses this summer guaranteed ? :p

Soldato
Essentially the company was set up to break out from the dodgy monopoly in the market.
I think 'dodgy monopoly' over glamourises/hypes it somewhat, plenty of decent looking, functional sunglasses in somewhere like Boots, and plenty of 'designer' pairs in somewhere like TK Maxx. Just another brand trying to ride the crowdfunding train.

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks for all the input guys, it was appreciated, I’ve gone for a pair of Duco polarised, from Amazon at £18.00.
That way, if they’re not doing the job, i.e., not stopping the glare, plus making me look like a well preserved Ryan Reynolds, I can deep six them, and I won’t have spent Maui Jim money, thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom