Surname Pronunciation

Caporegime
Call him whatever you like then ask if you got it right. My surname is apparently unpronounceable and I'd far sooner people at least asked, rather than fumbling over it and calling me something random.

Permabanned
vonhelmet said:
Call him whatever you like then ask if you got it right. My surname is apparently unpronounceable and I'd far sooner people at least asked, rather than fumbling over it and calling me something random.

what is your last name?

Just say the name how yout hink and ask if its right.

Caporegime
jezsoup said:
what is your last name?

Urquhart.

I pronounce it Er-kart. If I was properly Scottish (the name comes from up that way - Urquhart Castle is next to Loch Ness), then I'd pronounce it more like Urr*-cut.

*Urr to sound like the rrr bit of grrr that an angry dog would say. Or perhaps like the urr in curry. Man, it's hard to spell how a Scottish person talks.

Tru

Tru

Soldato
vonhelmet said:
Urquhart.

I pronounce it Er-kart. If I was properly Scottish (the name comes from up that way - Urquhart Castle is next to Loch Ness), then I'd pronounce it more like Urr*-cut.

*Urr to sound like the rrr bit of grrr that an angry dog would say. Or perhaps like the urr in curry. Man, it's hard to spell how a Scottish person talks.

It's like the sound you make when your trying to hock up a pube stuck in your throat. :D

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
Probably gets loads of people getting the pronounciation wrong all of the time.. go with Chow/choo and see what happens.

I get it all the time, the worst thing is when this happens:

'Good afternoon, Marketing Dept **** speaking...'

'Can I speak to **** please?'

'Erm yeah speaking?!'

Moral: People don't really listen anyway so call em what you like ;)

BB x

Back
Top Bottom