"Survivor"

Caporegime
What's with the current media trend for labelling everyone these days as a survivor? Some examples in the last week I've seen are:
  • Domestic abuse survivor
  • Burns survivor
  • Hurricane survivor
  • Crash survivor
I've been in several car crashes, is living through such things so remarkable that i too am now a Survivor?
Are we all going to be Brexit survivors?
I stubbed my toe the other day, am I a toe stub survivor?

Cool story eh?

Caporegime
OP
Uh... ok, why is this even a thread a person who survives a crash or domestic abuse, kinda deserves the word survivor....

Really? Cos I mean that time someone reversed in to me at 3mph was a crash. Does this make me an uber ultra mega hero survivor? Or does it just mean I had a crash?

Capodecina
Soldato
What's with the current media trend for labelling everyone these days as a survivor? Some examples in the last week I've seen are:
  • Domestic abuse survivor
  • Burns survivor
  • Hurricane survivor
  • Crash survivor
[SNIP]
The examples you have given don't seem entirely unreasonable to me. The one that I find particularly odd is "Child abuse survivor".

Caporegime
OP
The examples you have given don't seem entirely unreasonable to me. The one that I find particularly odd is "Child abuse survivor".

To me survivor should be applied to someone who makes it through something likely to result in death.
All of those things I've listed only result in death in the most extreme cases. I burn my hands on the oven allllll the time.

Caporegime
We seem to be in a climate where the media focus only on the two extremes and everything in the middle is completely ignored, if you don't die they probably see stubbing your toe as survival.

Or maybe it has to do with the corporate media losing respect/viewers and feeling that it needs to be more sensational because people are flooding to independent outlets.

Capodecina
Soldato
To me survivor should be applied to someone who makes it through something likely to result in death. All of those things I've listed only result in death in the most extreme cases. . . .
Agreed. However, I don't think that makes the term "survivor" inappropriate in all cases?

. . . I burn my hands on the oven allllll the time.
Best stay out of the kitchen then ;)

Caporegime

I'm not sure anyone survives child abuse... it'd take a seriously steel'd mind to just laugh it off, anyone else is afflicted with neural atypism of some sort.

Back
Top Bottom