Switching monitors without using the monitor OSD? KVM?

Soldato
Hey folks,
So I have reduced down my setup, it used to be a PC and an iMac, but to save space etc I now have a Mac Mini (m1) and my gaming PC.

I found a little USB switcher on Amazon which works brilliant to share the mouse/keyboard - but the only thing I am lacking is switching input modes on the monitor - I have an Acer XV340CKP 34" Monitor and it's very clunky going through the OSD buttons to switch inputs each time.

Currently I have the PC going to Displayport 1 on the monitor, and the Mac Mini I use a HDMI cable to HDMI Port 1 on the monitor.

In terms of res, I run 3440x1440 - the Mac displays at 100hz, and the PC can do the full 144hz that the monitor supports.

Is there something I can get that I can use in a similar way to the USB switcher - just press a single button and switch inputs? Without spending hundreds of pounds? It seems a minefield of choices and I get confused reading about 30hz/60hz etc, It's a fairly simple use I need as above.

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

Associate
A hdmi switch/splitter should do that.

He has a fairly high end monitor, I'd assume OP would be using DP. I would personally be surprised if you could find something that would be cheap and support a 1440p 144hertz and also be reasonably priced. This sort of thing is generally only used in data centres anyway where you may be needing to work on several boxes on a rack, but don't need high-end peripherals.

The only time I've seen it done cheaply is like Micky says though HDMI, but said was a TV that was sometimes used for a PC or console. No point in using a HDMI switch with a high end monitor.

Back
Top Bottom