1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switching over to SSD on my macbook

Discussion in 'Apple Software' started by Liamalxd, 25 Apr 2010.

1. Liamalxd

Gangster

I'm wanting to upgrade my current macbook unibody 4.1's hard disk from its 160GB sata to a 128GB SSD.

I have 2 questions,
    1) im not a noob with hardware so is the swapover processes literally plug and play swapping the hdd for the ssd? or does it require firmware/drive locks like an xbox in order to work in a macbook (you know how apple hardware is a ****** to swap around)

2) i upgraded to snow leopard recently, i also have all the relevent leopard and snow leopard installation discs, now do i just re-install the OS and it's done with? or do apple have a 1 machine per OS installation policy like windows and it requires some tinkering, if so what needs to be done?

Sorry for the noob way i asked the questions but up until a few months ago all i ever knew was DOS and windows :) ever since i was a kid lol

Thanks guys.

2. Liamalxd

Gangster

bump.

3. hyper_piper45

Mobster

The hard drive is just plug and play.

You just install the OS and it's 'done with'.

Its really simple you should have no problems. :)

4. Liamalxd

Gangster

thanks i thought it was that easy but its best to check before spending generous amounts of cash on parts :)

5. NickK

Capodecina

1. Backup with time machine
    2. switch drive to new ssd
    3. insert snow leopard disk select restore from time machine..
    4. an hour or so later (ssd write speed!) it'll restart and it'll be identical to the install prior to the switch out.

I did the above after installing an SSD. Obviously I had enough space on the SSD to take the data.