1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Symantec to sue Microsoft! :eek:

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by AJUK, 19 May 2006.

1. AJUK

Man of Honour

2. ballistic

PermaBanned

Could delay Vista once again :p

3. AJUK

Man of Honour

Is this a case of everyone just having a go at Microsoft because of who they are or is it a case of them being found out that they have built there business by nicking *cough* sorry, the aquisition of*cough* other companies technology?

4. markysparky

Associate

Go symantec, good on them I hope they sue the No swearing! out of mr gates

5. Kerplunk

Sgarrista

Watch your language!

6. markysparky

Associate

Sorry (Slaps own wrist)

7. quadboi

PermaBanned

Edit it mate.... Its a family forum you see :)
    But yep, vista looks like it may be dealyed yet again :p

8. FatRakoon

Capodecina

MicroSoft are up to their usual tricks of lying and dirty underhanded code theft.

Even if it is from Symantec!

9. Energize

Caporegime

It says that they bought the code, they just didnt stop using it after veritas was bought out by symantec. Does anyone bother to read the links?

10. FatRakoon

Capodecina

Oh, I read the link

The fact still remains, that MS have no rights to use the code.

11. Energize

Caporegime

Well im not complaining, us consumers can only benefit from companies like microsoft stealing code, thus giving us better products. :D Symantec make crap software like norton anyway so screw them. :p I dont feel any sympathy.

Last edited: 20 May 2006
  12. NathanE

Capodecina

Erm I'd let the case get to court and let a judge decide before jumping to the conclusion that Microsoft are guilty...

Remember that it is in Symantec's interest to delay Vista because their security software is currently in a state of complete incompatibility with Vista (due to previous bad practices which are now disallowed on Vista) whereas Microsoft's OneCare will work just fine.

Last edited: 20 May 2006
  13. tmileson

Gangster

Meanwhile Microsoft have ben quietly aquiring companies products and more importantly patents...

One of these days MS is going to wheel out the IP/code/patents they own that other companies have been using in thier own products and then the fun starts ;)

MS may not be perfect by any stretch of the imagination (like any large or successfull business) but far too many companies/individuals these days see vague patents and speculative sueing of MS as a business plan and get rich quick scheme.

The Eolas case recently was a good example, the claim against MS was that IE broke patents by allowing the automatic use of plugins (not just activex) in a browser (i'm sure NathanE can explain it better than I can). Despite almost the entire industry (including Tim Berners Lee) rallying to put forward the claim was "a bad thing" it was upheld and MS got hit with hundreds of millions of dollars of fine, far in excess of anything the individual concerened had ever done to "earn" the money. So far the other browser companies escape because they aren't seen as having enough cash if the judgement goes against them for it to be worth it.

So, come up with a vague patent about, oh I dunno, use of high definition images and their integration into something or other (a "information browser?!") and sit on it quietly. Wait till a big company or the community in general uses something that loosly matches that description and sue the buggers without actually having to take the trouble to research, fund and launch a company or product to do it yourself...

The problem is the larger community very rarely looks beyond the shock horror headlines (if it's in "the register it must be true ) and so MS get tarred with the "evil empires at it again" brush. It goes with the territory I suppose... /shrug

I'm off to come up with some wacky theories for patents as a pension fund this afternoon now ;)