Synology and iOS

Associate
Is there a way to download music files (MP3 AAC) from my Synology on my iPhone XS so they show within Music (locally on the phone storage)?

I have Synology DS File and Apple’s File app but neither seem viable.

I’d also like to understand what other useful things I can do between Synology and iOS?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
As far as I'm aware, the only way to get music onto an iPhone is by using iTunes and syncing the phone to your music library.

Associate
You can always use the DS Audio app. Place your music files/folders into the shared folder ‘music’ on the NAS and the DS Audio app works like the Music app (maybe not quite as polished but can download for offline usage etc.). Also allows me to pause playing and suchlike from my Watch.

I use my Synology NAS to backup my photos using the Moments app, very similar to Photos (just don’t look at the hideous folder structure it uses on the NAS!), as well as the Drive app, which is basically cloud storage and integrates into the Files app, for all my file storage needs.

Works quite well, I connect via QuickConnect, just be aware that there is often a time delay when you initially connect.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've tried all suggested. DS Audio was a good interim measure but hated it forces the default "music" folder on my file structure. I've found a solution that works for my needs at least...Plex!

I never even considered it despite me using it heavily for video. It ticks two boxes:

1) Play from my NAS
2) Resume playback - which none of the native iOS apps can do correctly

Associate
OP
Ah, never thought of Plex, I forget that it can do music as I only use it for video.

Same :D

Works great for me and has the bonus of managing playlists remotely too. Mine are all just radio sets rather than individual commercial tracks/albums. Thats why the playback position memory is a bonus too.

n1M8a2d.png
n1M8a2d

Back
Top Bottom