System clock losing time (~5mins a day).

Soldato
I've had this problem for a while now. With my last machine, it would lose about 3/4 mins if I left it on overnight.

With my new machine it gains about the same if left on overnight.

Never quite got to the bottom it so would be interested to know if there's a fix.

Soldato
Mana said:
motherboard battery needs to be replaced?
As it says in mine and the original post, the change in time happens while the machine is left on and running from mains. I could understand the BIOS battery being to blame if the time changed after the machine was turned off for a period of time, but not while it's on.

Soldato
Big Chris said:
As it says in mine and the original post, the change in time happens while the machine is left on and running from mains. I could understand the BIOS battery being to blame if the time changed after the machine was turned off for a period of time, but not while it's on.

The RTC is powered from the onboard battery and NOT from the mains. Replace the battery !

Permabanned
My computer running XP Home has recently started to lose time as well, around a minute per day. It is left on 24/7. Time synchronisation is turned on, but it only updates once a week so that isn't much use.

Is there any way to force it to update the time once a day?

Is there anything that could be causing this phenomenon, other than a failing motherboard battery? My mobo is getting on a bit, must be three years old now.

Back
Top Bottom