System image backup: Use Windows 10 or Backupper?

Associate
Hi all,

Which is best to use as a system image backup?

Windows 10 Pro tool or Backupper?

Note: This will be a system image after updates and a clean install. It will be put onto a USB 3.0 pen drive
smile.png

Soldato
I use aomei. Daily 7pm incremental backups and then every now and then I do a full backup and delete the old ones. This way the backups aren't tens to hundreds of gigabytes each but rather a single large backup and subsequent smaller ones. For your use I'd use the tool to create bootable media, legacy mode, select the pen drive and let it do it's thing. Verify it boots then do the backup to the same pen drive. That way to restore you can boot into the pen drive and use the image on the pen drive easy peasy.

Be careful when restoring that you are restoring to the correct drive.

Associate
OP
I never thought to include the backup image on the same UBS drive. I like to use an old 4GB usb 2.0 pen drive to boot from, then have a usb 3.0 pen drive for the backup image so that it transfers over a lot quicker.

It's not for me, it's for my dad's new laptop I got him. Hence the system image backup. For backups I've taught him to use Allway Sync to sync his backups. Might look at backupper for this now though as only just clicked!

Do you find that backupper is better than the Windows internal tool?

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Macrium.

Use a portable HDD instead of a USB flash drive for long term system image storage.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I have used the Windows built in system image tool for years, always works well.

You can later browse the VHD like a drive if you want to pull certain files off, or simply restore the image using Windows Startup Recovery.

Associate
OP
Hi guys,

An update for you.

I ended up using the Windows system image recovery option for my dad's laptop.

If I were to use a third party, at the moment I would recommend using Macrium free as Backupper isn't working well at all with Windows 10 at the moment.

Pete :)

Back
Top Bottom