system shock 2 what a game i missed

Man of Honour
It can be a bit overwhelming at first. Big things to keep in mind: Ammo is VERY scarce, healing isn't - try to use your trusty wrench as much as possible. Security alerts can be turned off just by activating a security panel (no need for hacking skill for this). And the easiest career to play through the game with is Navy :)

Soldato
SS2 is one of my favourite games ever! Seeing this thread has made me want to dig it out again and play it.. Wonder if it will still scare me as much now I'm older..

Soldato
Psyk said:
It does with some tweaking, can't remember what I did but I had it working.

you just need the latest patches ane *sometimes* need to force win98 compatibility. That's about it really:)
Aekeron said:
It's luck of the draw to be honest - I've never had any problems in XP aside from the nforce2 soundstorm bug.

i had that. the surround drivers sorted it though. ill be honst i cant remember the name of them right now lol

Soldato
One thing with System Shock 2 (Thief and Thief 2 have the same 'bug') which might have been mentioned already in the thread - it crashes with Hyper Threading (maybe with dual-core too). Turn HT off in your bios. Or alt-tab out when you get to the main menu, press ctrl-alt-del, find Shock2.exe in the list of running processes, right click on it, click 'set affinity' and disable the 2nd CPU for that exe. Then it will run without crashing but you need to do that every time.

Still my favourite game of all time SS2, followed closely by Thief and Thief 2. Can't wait for the spiritual successor Bioshock from Irrational (who co-created SS2 with LG). The RPG elements made SS2 so much more interesting than if it had been just a shooter. Very scary, great story, perfect gameplay (non linear too), great villain, endlessly fascinating and can be played in many different ways. Best interface I've seen in a game too. Brilliant sound (also excellent voice acting), excellent graphics for it's time.

Also after the official patch it has co-op multiplayer, which is just awesome fun. Best co-op game ever by miles. I've finished the game with my brother on co-op (on hard), and as all three characters on single player (again on hard). Don't play on medium btw.

If only every game was this good.

Man of Honour
james.miller said:
i had that. the surround drivers sorted it though. ill be honst i cant remember the name of them right now lol

The a3d drivers? They fixed the problem 'kind of' but caused other issues. Fun stuff :p I just used software sounds till I upgraded :)

Man of Honour
One thing I will say (contrary to someone else's post) is that I *would* play on a lowish difficulty mode until you get used to the game. It has a very steep learning curve and it's not really any fun to get an hour or two into the storyline and be trapped in engineering with a broken pistol, 5 shots for your broken shotgun and 6 protocol droids running around trying to give you a hug.

Wait, what am I thinking? :p

Associate
You git :p you have just made me waste my morning serching for my SS2 disc, installing it and getting it running on XP lol. Thanks :)

Download the rebirth mod...adds better textures to some bits in SS2.

Back
Top Bottom