T-mobile MDA Vario II - when??

Man of Honour
Plexman said:
Now can anybody confirm if you can use HSDPA with normal web and walk. After reading on various foums some people are saying yes and some are saying you need web and walk pro.

Nope - only W&W Pro im afraid (will confirm 100% when im in work tomorrow)

There is a way around it....but general joe public wont be able to use it im afraid....have to love working in config ;)

Associate
Slightly off topic the little pen thing you get, is there anywhere in the phone that it can be placed? I can't seem to find a slot it fits in :)

Associate
Are you sure that there's not already a stylus in the unit somewhere. I think that it comes with a spare stylus, which is probably the one you're holding

Caporegime
Pdog said:
Slightly off topic the little pen thing you get, is there anywhere in the phone that it can be placed? I can't seem to find a slot it fits in :)
ROFL I did the same thing - used the spare until a nice soul showed me where the other one is - look at the bottom corner near the usb connector - there should be a grey thing - just pull it out and theres your stylus ;)

P.S. Guys is it me or the camera isnt that good - not getting good photos (badly out of focus and really slow shutter :() - didnt buy it for the camera, but expected it to take ok pics...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Soldato
DoubleCheese said:
Is it possible to use the phone with Pocket Skype over Wifi?

Taken from the Skype website:

The minimum requirements to run Skype for Pocket PC 2.0 are:
· Display: 320x240, 640x480 (portrait or landscape), 240x240, 480x480
· CPU: 312Mhz + (Optimized sound quality versions for Intel Xscale, 312Mhz and for 400MHz+), b
· Network: WiFi, 3G or EDGE

The Vario II meets the hardware requirements so should work fine, although using it under a Web N Walk would mean you breaching T-Mobiles terms and conditions.

Man of Honour
Slightly OT but my MDA Pro takes flipping ages to connect to the 'net via WnW, I just tried to fire up www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest and it took nearly a minute to locate the site and now it's stuck on gradually d/l the page.. seems I am using 3G 'cause I have the U symbol showing. Surely it shouldn't be this slow, yet it pretty much always is :confused:

EDIT: just managed to run the speedtest and it's 93.4 kilobits per second :(
EDIT2: 56.7 and then 605.7 kbps! Crazy differences in test speeds!

Last edited:
Permabanned
3G is around 380kbps and HSDPA is in theory 1.8mbps though in practice people will get around 1.1mbps.

I have been told by an informed T-mobile guy that you don't need WnW Pro for HSDPA as a matter of fact he said you don't even need WnW. We will find out soon enough as if you guys on WnW are getting speeds of around 1mb (120 K/s) then you've got HSDPA!

Associate
Right, I just ran the speedtest again, then connected to the phone via bluetooth and this program to get a screenshot.

variospeedtest.jpg

Soldato
Must say I'm pretty impressed with the call quality.

Being a PDA phone I was braced with the prospect of it sounding worse than my 6630. If anything it sounds a lot better!

On another note, has anyone used the Opera browser instead of IE?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom