T-mobile MDA Vario II - when??

Soldato
MrMoon said:
does orange us HSDPA? I prefer the look of the M3100 compared to the t-mobile one?

Not yet but I believe they will do soon.

The other consideration is the data package.

T-Mobiles Web N Walk (£7.50) can be added onto any contract. Orange do a similar package (£8) but you can only have it on the Panther contracts, which start at £45 a month.

I was with Orange but switched. I'm not a heavy mobile phone user so £53 a month was just far too expensive where with T-Mobile its a more affordable £37.50.

And the colour scheme of the Vario II isn't that bad! :p

Permabanned
Are there any technical differences (I suppose cosmetic differences as well) between the O2, Orange and T-Mob variations of this phone?

GuruJockStrap said:
And the colour scheme of the Vario II isn't that bad! :p

Hehe maybe it is an acquired taste, can you post a pic of your phone?

Soldato
The only differance between the Herm 100 and 200 apart from the cosmetic differences is that the Herm 100 has a 1300 battery and the 200 has a 1350 battery. But the Vario is a Herm 300 so until I get home tonight I can't tell you what battery that has.

Associate
AFK_Matrix said:
The only differance between the Herm 100 and 200 apart from the cosmetic differences is that the Herm 100 has a 1300 battery and the 200 has a 1350 battery. But the Vario is a Herm 300 so until I get home tonight I can't tell you what battery that has.

Vario 2 has a 1350mAh battery

Caporegime
AdWright said:
The delay in finding pages is apparently down to T-Mob's poor DNS servers. Try this

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=244497&hl=vario+2

I know its off topic but i just did changed my tmobile dns servers according to that forum post for my p990i which is only 3g enabled i think. Before i changed the dns servers my speed was 185 kilobits per second and after changing them it went up to 200 kilobits per second so that link is very very helpful...thanks.
Also general web browsing on the p990i is faster and smoother now.

Associate
Spawn said:
I know its off topic but i just did changed my tmobile dns servers according to that forum post for my p990i which is only 3g enabled i think. Before i changed the dns servers my speed was 185 kilobits per second and after changing them it went up to 200 kilobits per second so that link is very very helpful...thanks.
Also general web browsing on the p990i is faster and smoother now.

It really shouldn't affect your speeds in terms of actual downloading though.
The perceived increase in browsing speed is because the domain names can be resolved more quickly. ie, when you enter apple.com or the like, the replacement DNS can return the appropriate ip more quickly to your handset than the T-mobile ones.
Once you have the ip address, the downloading will be the same speed, no matter what DNS you are using. (That's my understanding anyway - please correct me if I'm incorrect).

Associate
GuruJockStrap said:
Must say I'm pretty impressed with the call quality.

Being a PDA phone I was braced with the prospect of it sounding worse than my 6630. If anything it sounds a lot better!

On another note, has anyone used the Opera browser instead of IE?

Speaking of making calls when I receive or dial it always leaves me on the number I have just called or received it doesn't clear itself and go back to the Today screen. anyone else noticed this?

Last edited:
Caporegime
GuruJockStrap said:
Those speed tests do vary quite a lot. After I got my first 947.9 Kilobits per second I done it again and got 600.

Yeh they do lol:p, just did another one and its come back at 110 kilobits per second :p.

Oh well doesnt matter as browsing the net on the p990i is fast enough and ive downloaded a few things on the p990i and it seems fast enough for me.

Soldato
Pdog said:
Speaking of making calls when I receive or dial it always leaves me on the number I have just called or received it doesn't clear itself and go back to the Today screen. anyone else noticed this?

Noticed that but not really a major issue for me.

If you press ok rather than closing the phone app it gets minimised.

I quite like hitting the the green phone key to load the phone app, and then scrolling the wheel down to get into the speed dial list or up to get into the call logs.

Soldato
Actually Pdog, could you try something out for me?

Turn the phone completely off and then back on again. On the signal bar, does yours have a "3G" Symbol and then a traditional signal strength sign over the bars?

Now go and broswe the web. Signal strength sign over the bars should change to 3G. Close IE (from the running programs screen) what happens to that G3?

On mine it remains and the only way to get it back to post boot up is go in the Comm Manager and turn off the Data Connection there. It appears not doing so leaves the data connection active, possibly draining the battery?

Just wondering if all the Vario II's are like that or its just mine.

Associate
GuruJockStrap said:
Actually Pdog, could you try something out for me?

Turn the phone completely off and then back on again. On the signal bar, does yours have a "3G" Symbol and then a traditional signal strength sign over the bars?

Now go and broswe the web. Signal strength sign over the bars should change to 3G. Close IE (from the running programs screen) what happens to that G3?

On mine it remains and the only way to get it back to post boot up is go in the Comm Manager and turn off the Data Connection there. It appears not doing so leaves the data connection active, possibly draining the battery?

Just wondering if all the Vario II's are like that or its just mine.

I just tried this. When the phone has booted up, there is a large 3G in a box, to the left of the aerial icon with signal strength indicator. On loading ie, the aerial turns into a smaller, second 3G. On closing IE, this second 3G disappears and is replaced by the aerial again.

Associate
Does the Vario II hard reset if you take the battery out? And does it switch off properly? Just curious as I have a MDA Compact atm and it hard resets when I take the battery out until the backup runs out...and it doesn't properly switch off (just the screen).

Soldato
GuruJockStrap said:
Everyone replace the pants T-Mobile DNS servers with these from OpenDNS:

Web browsing absolutely flys along now!:D

Cheers for that. I just tried it on my Nokia E70 and now it's massively improved!

Back
Top Bottom