T-mobile MDA Vario II - when??

Caporegime
AFK_Matrix said:
Well I assume the sim is 3G enabled - anyway to check?

Also those with the Vario 2 can you tell me if you have the program GPRS Monitor, its in the manual but I can't find it for love nor money on my Vario.

Well other than going into a 3g area and checking, i dont know tbh. Other than that ring them and ask them???

Associate
add my 2p worth
just ordered the Vario 2 as my 1st ever mobile phone (always used the wifes) LOL
any way I am a bit of an internet junkie and thought that this mobile sounds really cool - so finally bit the bullet

reading this thread makes me think I have a pretty good deal
paid £9.99 for the hand set and chose the flext w&w deal -- and I am paying £37.50 a month for the whole contact - I guess it will be a learning curve with all these features,
they gave me a bit off the bill because I got another contract for my daughter

so roll on wednesday for the postie knocking... is there an online manual for it??
cheers Chris

Soldato
AFK_Matrix said:
Well i just checked my battery to make 100% sure and it deffinetly says 1300. It also says the model is a HERM160 do your batteries say that. Bit annoyed to find I am missing 50mAh lol, gotta speak to tmobile tomorrow about sim registration so will raise this with them as well.
got my Vario2 yesterday and it says HERM 161 and 1350 on the battery.

Caporegime
Has anyone found any DNS servers that dont block particular ports like from MSN Msgr and supports the Super 3G speeds T-Mobile have enabled - I know Guru mentioned on another thread that the ones he supplied do - was hoping there might be some that dont...

Could I just use any DNS Server like my ISPs?

Or is there a better alternative program that doesnt discon too often?!?

ps3ud0 :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
You tried those settings I posted in the other thread?

I forgot to mention you need to create another connection (call it T-Mobile Proxy Test or something similar to seperate it from the others) otherwise you can run into some problems.

- Select Start
- Select 'Settings'
- Select 'Connections'
- Select 'Connections'
- Select 'Advanced'
- Select 'Select Networks'
- Select the top 'New' button
- Give it a name (e.g. 'T-Mobile Proxy Test')
- Click the 'Modem' Tab
- Click 'New'
- Enter a name, e.g. 'T-Mobile GPRS Test'
- Select 'Cellular Line GPRS' from the drop down list
- Select 'Next'
- Enter the Access Point Name as 'general.t-mobile.uk'
- Enter the user name 'user'
- Enter the password 'one2one'
- Click 'Advanced'
- Click 'Servers'
- Enter the DNS servers 158.43.240.4 and 62.241.160.200
- Select OK
- Press 'Finish'
- Click the 'Proxy Settings' Tab
- Click 'This network connects to the internet'
- Click 'This network uses a proxy server to connect to the internet'
- Click Advanced

HERE YOU NEED TO ENTER THE PROXY DETAILS

- For HTTP enter: 158.43.240.10:3128
- For Socks enter: 158.43.240.10:1080

- After entering the details, click 'OK'.
- Ensure that in the top drop down box your new network is selected.
- Disconnect your existing connection
- Try browsing!

I found with these DNS and Proxy settings the web pages you request are found and loaded far more quickly than the slow default T-Mobile settings.

Ok, so running the speed test posted in this thread doesn't return 1.2Mbps (got 263kbps with the network setting posted above) but I'd take the faster browsing speeds over faster downloads anyday. Until T-Mobile sort out their terrible DNS and Proxy servers, I'll be using the alternative option.

MSN is blocked with this proxy but a download of Agile Messenger soon sorts out that little problem.;)

Another tip regarding the camera.

For some strange reason, the sharpness is set to 5 by default. Reduce this to 1 and notice a massive improvement in the picture quality. Setting the contrast to 1 also helps in certain situations. :)

Back
Top Bottom