Takata Airbag Recalls

Soldato
I just received a recall notice for my 2006 Rx8. Doing some reading this appears to be a huge deal and I'm suprised not to find a thread about it here.

Who else has had a recall notice?

It appears there is no stock in to have mine at any of the local mazda dealerships and this has been a problem for Toyota customers also.

I am debating disconnecting the airbag.

I know the figures are around 12 deaths and 200 injuries in 34 millions defective units from 2004 cars onwards (so far) but do the risks outweigh the benefits? I'm not sure?

Soldato
Disconnect - die in accident

Keep connected - Maybe not die in accident.

This is an absolutely insane problem that people need to be going to jail for in my opinion. Word has it over here that every dealer has a '6 month wait' that is ongoing and never seems to come around.

Soldato
OP
The problem is on deployment firing lethal bits of metal shrapnel at the driver - people that have had this happen apparently look like victims of a stabbing or shooting.

The extremely low incident rate has me debating to leave it connected... It does scare the **** out of me though.

Soldato
OP
There may be over 200 million defective units out there that end up being recalled, mostly from Japanese manufacturers but not exclusively. Audi, BMW, Porsche, Mercedes also have recalls active.

Definitely related. Hope there is stock to cover his!

Soldato
I got told my 2009 accord needed a recall last year. Finally got actually recalled last month and fixed so they have stock now but dunno if you're in for a similar wait.

It was just the passenger airbag on mine so I turned it off, the way I saw it surely the seat belt will stop the passenger from hitting the dash?! Cars never used to have them.

Last edited:
Associate
I got told my 2009 accord needed a recall last year. Finally got actually recalled last month and fixed so they have stock now but dunno if you're in for a similar wait.

It was just the passenger airbag on mine so I turned it off, the way I saw it surely the seat belt will stop the passenger from hitting the dash?! Cars never used to have them.

No it will not. You will be surprised how much the head moves before the seatbelt locks. And they don't have to miss the dash, plus it is not just the impact that can cause an injury.

They can hit the dash as long as the resulting impact only results in a maximum 5% chance of severe injury.

You also have neck injury criteria, so if your chin gets caught up on something e neck tension could break your neck etc, which is why passeenger impact zones are curved and any latching for the glovebox is underneath or does not have any extrusions outward.

You also have criteria on how much force the seatbelt can take, i.e. So it doesn't crash your lungs/chest. So if you had a belt which prevented you hitting anything, it would crash your lungs and chest plus your neck would probably keep moving forwards and break, plus you would have a rebound motion resulting in impact with the headrest.

All these criteria keep advancing, i.e. Most of those just made their way into aircraft regulations, plus in aircraft they are not so severe (for example in aircraft the allowed propability of severe injury to the head as a result of impact is 20%).

So just because something wasn't there before, doesn't mean it is not doing something now.

Back
Top Bottom