Take Away business from home

Associate
I have seen a few posts on social media networks where people are offering home cooked food as a take away at weekends.

It seems to be a few people that offer a few home cooked dishes for local pick up.

Has anyone tried these before ? Do you trust them with respect to hygiene and Coronoavirus ?

Associate
If they charge then surely they have to be registered as a business and be hygiene checked by the council as per 'normal' business.

Caporegime
I think it would depend on the person.

There is a guy that does pizzas in our village, and no one has complained about those as far as I'm aware.

This, and what they're cooking.

Pizza needs expensive equipment and a skillset. A crappy steak dinner made in a disgusting kitchen, from someone I didn't know. If my mate had to start selling some of his BBQ stuff, I'd be all over it.

Soldato
There is a loophole to do with selling small amounts of surplus food

There was something on watchdog or similar a year or two ago
They bought a load and tested them, most were "infected" with something nasty, some were downright dangerous

I remember this being in the news, i think they were pushing for a law change or something to force anyone who wants to cook take away food on home premises to sell to the public to pass the same hygiene standards as other restaurants/takeaways are held to.

I've never actually looked tbh, are the prices very cheap OP? I imagine they'd have to be significantly cheaper than takeaway for it to entice people.

Soldato
I don't think they are necessarily cheaper. I guess the appeal is home cooked food, like visiting a friend ?

Even worse then - being "home-cooked" doesn't add a magical flavour to it.

They may well use the same recipe as your local Indian takeaway, but unless it's significantly cheaper, i don't see why anyone would choose someone selling food from home over a restaurant/takeaway.

Caporegime
Not sure if serious.

But no it doesn't.

You can set yourself up at home for under £500

Enough to make enough to be a takeaway business? Making good pizza definitely involves a skillset, and decent enough equipment if selling. But then people's opinion of good pizza differs.

Soldato
Enough to make enough to be a takeaway business? Making good pizza definitely involves a skillset, and decent enough equipment if selling. But then people's opinion of good pizza differs.

Absolutely just looking at local facebook food review sites show how little taste some people have

Its an up and coming market but there are a few new wholesale Pizza makers now

https://www.barrelandstone.co.uk/

Caporegime
Sooner cook it myself, than pay 2x what the ingredients would cost
same but if its someone with a pizza oven in their garden or something... you can't beat it at home.

personally I wouldn't trust most peoples home cooking, they don't have training in food prep and safety most likely and act like they do when they cook their own food probably.

also you never know if it someone with kids and their kids are helping so they aren;t whining.

I'm weary of restaraunts and takeaways as well, some places near me have been in the paper with 0 stars, or forced to close cos rat poop everywhere in teh kitchen, no cleaning etc.

theres actually a takeaway on my road where he added a window to the prep room, so you can see how clean it is from the outside, walked past a couple of times late at night and saw they scrubbing everything in there.

you just never know who can be trusted these days

Associate
OP
I thought this may have been something to try out but after reading through people's comments about things I had not even thought, I will be giving home cooked take aways a wide berth

Back
Top Bottom