Taking a new job in the COVID era

Soldato
I'm wondering if anyone's moved jobs in the current mess and whether they'd like to share what their experiences have been like when it comes to integrating into a new team.

I'm struggling in my current place in a team I've been a key part of for years so am wary about a move right now given how difficult collaboration has become and the fact that we've been thrown into at least another 6 months of limbo.

At least in my field it's a bit of a nightmare when you're not physically working together in the same location and can't just bounce ideas off each other or chip in when you overhear a conversation.

Just weighing up whether it's worth the risk of even more frustration really.

Caporegime
My opinion is that I would be more than happy to change jobs in today's climate, assuming it was a reputable / relatively stable organisation with good people.

It's the people that find a way to make collaboration work, at least in my line of work; but if it's already rubbish where you are in terms of team interaction, why would that be a reason not to move somewhere else, where it could presumably (hopefully) only be better?

To be honest my mantra is that I make do with what I have and focus on getting paid. I try to avoid politics and whinging wherever possible and just get on with it.

Soldato
OP
My opinion is that I would be more than happy to change jobs in today's climate, assuming it was a reputable / relatively stable organisation with good people.

It's the people that find a way to make collaboration work, at least in my line of work; but if it's already rubbish where you are in terms of team interaction, why would that be a reason not to move somewhere else, where it could presumably (hopefully) only be better?

To be honest my mantra is that I make do with what I have and focus on getting paid. I try to avoid politics and whinging wherever possible and just get on with it.
I think I worded that poorly - my team is great, it's just the current situation (not working in the office) makes it a nightmare working together.

I just have this gut feeling that even going to a "better" place will still be painful as there's not the base of knowledge and well-established network of colleagues anymore so potentially you could end up feeling pretty isolated. Maybe I'm over-thinking it but I suppose it's a good idea to ask about how engagement will work in the current WFH limbo. :)

Soldato
I changed jobs on 1st June and its been much harder trying to fit in purely because of WFH. In the office it would have been much easier to training and hand things over but working remotely its been much harder.

Associate
This is my second week in my new job.

It's an odd experience having never set foot in the office my situation is slightly unique as the team I've joined is brand new so none of us have ever actually met in person only virtually so we are all in the same situation.

It's early days but collaboration is good and as mentioned above we are getting results which is key.

Soldato
I’d say make sure you find out as much about the company and how long other employees have been there if it’s a small company.

Nothing wrong with startups but I made the mistake to join one recently and it didn’t work out for me unfortunately.

Caporegime
I'm currently in the process of hiring one of my ex-colleagues. His onboarding is going to be odd given the hands-off approach and remote working from day-1, but we'll make it work as I know he has the skills that my team needs.

From his perspective he had no issues at all with changing roles during the pandemic, if anything he feels that the move would put him somewhere more stable and secure, but then the business he is currently with only started in 2006, and folded during lockdown and has now been bought out by another business that appears to be focusing on streamlining. In contrast where he'll be moving to has been operating since 1877 and is currently cash-rich precisely due to lockdown.

Soldato
OP
I'm currently in the process of hiring one of my ex-colleagues. His onboarding is going to be odd given the hands-off approach and remote working from day-1, but we'll make it work as I know he has the skills that my team needs.

Interesting situation as I may have an opportunity working with someone I used to work for too.

The real wrenches at the moment ringing alarm bells are:

1) I'm in the middle of a project and would feel terrible dumping it on my colleagues by leaving (although once I have the first half done, the rest is essentially taking that first half as a template and transposing). It just doesn't feel professional and I wish the timing was better.

2) I am extremely nervous with all the uncertainty right now and despite the fact that my current role stresses me out, it's familiar and I can't help that "better the devil you know" feeling. :/

3) There's a chance of redundancy down the line which would be a lot of money.

Ugh.

Last edited:
Associate
I wouldn't move, depends if you are paying off a mortgage, have kids or big expenses/debts then I would refrain from doing so.
You might move elsewhere and find it is the same and your frustration just grows even more, only then you will need to be careful not to voice it out as that will get you the sack.

I've had issues in a previous work setting and I took those issues into the new job and there I met an even bigger tool than in my previous job.

Soldato
OP
Well I went for an interview anyway. Mostly for the experience and the battering given holes in my knowledge and lack of time to prepare. :D Even if it was offered, it sounds like I'd be going from one stressful job to another with the added grief of having to learn a new (admittedly really interesting) environment while working from home.

Given my circumstances have changed and I'm likely going to need a bit of flexibility in the near future I'm just carrying on with Plan A, which is to finish my course of study, get certified, pay the mortgage off early next year and then see how the land lies for a career change. Money won't be such a motivating factor then.

I think this at least has really made me focus on what I want. I really enjoy some of my job, the technology and smart people I work with but I just hate all the stress and corporate politics that comes with it. At least I have certainty at the moment while I get my ducks in a row.

Caporegime
I did.

I did it because I felt I had to take the risk.
I needed more money for my personal circumstances.
Ideally I wouldn't have, I didn't want to.

Its been ok. Difficult bits
-not meeting team in person
-not being able to lean over desk and ask

Really that's it. I did ask in interview 'how safe is this' I was reassured and felt comfortable with the answer.

Stable business, had already hired several.

I did it in April. So I had a lot to lose. Ie furlough.

Soldato
I've been thinking a lot about this recently, as I'm keen for a change.

My caution with moving companies is the ease at which they can (with very limited reasons, and no compensation) get rid of you, should COVID worsen to a point where they need to make cuts.

I've been at my current place for 4 years and I know that should the worst happen (redundancy), I'd be getting a decent package that would take the edge off and reduce the stress off paying the mortgage etc (my wife doesn't work).

Man of Honour
I'm wondering if anyone's moved jobs in the current mess and whether they'd like to share what their experiences have been like when it comes to integrating into a new team.

I'm struggling in my current place in a team I've been a key part of for years so am wary about a move right now given how difficult collaboration has become and the fact that we've been thrown into at least another 6 months of limbo.

At least in my field it's a bit of a nightmare when you're not physically working together in the same location and can't just bounce ideas off each other or chip in when you overhear a conversation.

Just weighing up whether it's worth the risk of even more frustration really.

I did. I moved mid peak lockdown. But I'm in a bit of a niche role with expertise in the field and already knew a the majority of the people I would be working with so that really helped.

It's a WFH contract too so it made life a lot easier - all my IT equipment, and second internet connection was set up for me (because why wouldn't the company pay for your internet connection for work if it's part of your contract?).

In the 4/5 months I've been there it's as if I have been there for years, sure, I'm a bit 'zoomed' out and it's a bit tiring, but I can go for a walk at lunchtime, go to the gym (I have one in the garage), and still be productive whilst giving myself some time to physically move around.

It is tough, and I do like to interact and meet people physically, but that'll happen, if you can build governance and structure in your work remotely, when you get to do things in person the effect of your work should be amplified greatly.

I did it not because I was at risk where I was, but because the opportunity presented itself, and I've always been one to take an opportunity if it's in front of me. It is a risk, I have a mortgage, a car, 2 kids, and a wife that depend on my salary, and I did take a significant pay cut from a 6 figure salary with lots of benefits, but I don't regret it. I've had more time with the kids, more time with my wife, more time in my garden and just enjoying the more simple things in life that I took for granted previously.

Life is boring if you don't inject a bit of interest / difference - I work hard, and it's paying off.

That said, in your situation OP, you need to be sure you'll be stepping into something you can deal with.

Soldato
I quit my job about a month ago and am starting in the Civil Service next Monday. I had been frustrated at my previous job for the past couple of years, and I was really really close to securing a new job just when the lockdown in March started - Sort of a blessing in disguise, because I was going to work at a small company, that might have had to let me go considering the circumstances... I was put onto Furlough shortly after lockdown started, and my mental health improved immensely while away from the toxic workplace I was working at. I returned from Furlough and I hated it just as much as I used to - so I went interviewing again.

I was quite nervous and unsure of my decision to make a job move during such a crazy time - It was especially stressful as I have moved into a totally different career, and it involved a small pay cut, but I felt like I had to do it for my wellbeing over anything else.

As I said, I start Monday, and I am really really excited to start a brand new career :D I say go for it, just be extra careful as no one wants to be unemployed during a time like this. Best of luck to you :)

Soldato
OP
Life is boring if you don't inject a bit of interest / difference - I work hard, and it's paying off.

That said, in your situation OP, you need to be sure you'll be stepping into something you can deal with.
Cheers for the reply. I went through several interviews in the end, but decided not to pursue it.

I don't think changing over to doing the same job at another company with the same sort of fast-paced environment will fix my fundamental issues with where I'm at career wise right now. I need a real change so if I'm going to go through disruption I'd rather not do it multiple times. :D

I'll have my mortgage paid off soon so will be in a position to be a bit braver and jump to something completely different if I want. Hopefully after redundancy which is looking more likely now. :)

Back
Top Bottom