Poll: Taking an 18 month old baby to the pub, in the evening, by yourself and drinking alcohol?

Taking an 18 month old baby to the pub, in the evening, by yourself and drinking alcohol?

• Irresponsible

Votes: 284 65.6%
  • Perfectly fine

Votes: 94 21.7%
  • Pancakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Votes: 55 12.7%

• Total voters
Soldato
18 month baby by yourself... what if an accident happened...

Should not leave the house with an 18 month year old at all then; just stay at home and teach them sign language and read books together. The outside world is too dangerous.

There nice pubs with nice people where an 18 month old would be perfectly safe. There are also pubs you would never dream of going in with our without your kids.

Edit: if there was an 'it obviously depends, duh' in the poll options .. I would choose it.

Caporegime
OP
Edit: if there was an 'it obviously depends, duh' in the poll options .. I would choose it.

doesn't need to be - if you've got a pub in mind then that's fine...

I don't think it matters - it is the drinking alcohol while looking after an 18 month old infant in *any* pub that I'd object to

Soldato
It doesn't sit well with me but why would you want to in the first place?

I don't know any pubs that are that great that I would want to take a baby to on my own?

Soldato
It becomes much more dangerous when with fragile company and with alcohol...

It becomes much more dangerous leaving the house.

Man, link me some evidence to show there is a problem with children being hurt in pubs because of alcohol.

If there was an actual problem across the board there would be a law stating under 16's are not allowed in pubs. As it stand it is illegal to have an under 16 in a pub between midnight and 5am (seems fair).

Just because there is alcohol being served in an establishment does not mean that establishment is unsuitable for a child.

Caporegime
OP
Just because there is alcohol being served in an establishment does not mean that establishment is unsuitable for a child.

Are you deliberately misreading what he's posted? He's talking about the (lone)parent drinking not just the infant being in a pub:

18 month baby by yourself... what if an accident happened... hmm doesn't sound like a great idea, I probably wouldn't.

With company or an older child, crack on.

Man of Honour
It becomes much more dangerous leaving the house.

Man, link me some evidence to show there is a problem with children being hurt in pubs because of alcohol.

If there was an actual problem across the board there would be a law stating under 16's are not allowed in pubs. As it stand it is illegal to have an under 16 in a pub between midnight and 5am (seems fair).

Here's the thread title:

Taking an 18 month old baby to the pub, in the evening, by yourself and drinking alcohol?

Forget the pub, you can basically narrow it down to 'should you drink alcohol whilst looking after a YOUNG child by yourself'.

I don't think you should. And it probably is worse out of the house because you won't have any supplies that may be necessary.

Edit - well dowie did it better, thanks :p

Soldato
Are you deliberately misreading what he's posted? He's talking about the parent drinking not just the infant being in a pub.
eh?

he said

"18 month baby by yourself... what if an accident happened... hmm doesn't sound like a great idea, I probably wouldn't.

With company or an older child, crack on."

I was talking to Nitefly...hence the quote? Why, what are you reading?

What is wrong with having a pint while you are there? If there is a law about having a small drink of booze while being in charge of a baby, well, I hate to break it to you but the country is full of parents having a drink at home while in charge of their kids.

Here's the thread title:
I was responding to what you said... I would have quoted the OP if I was talking to the OP? ?? ?

Soldato
I hate the British and being British during these debates, we are a backwards society in this regard, all over Europe, people sit and have a drink with their kids, the kids having a sip too, they grow up understanding what alcohol is and how it should be consumed.

no need for babysitters or being away from the kids, enjoying time with their parents relaxing outside of other duties, sharing jokes and fun times.

and we wonder why we have 'lager louts' and why alcohol is such a problem in this country and not the rest of Europe.

I f I wanted too, right now I would take my 9 year old out to the pub with me and have a few, and have done many times.

you are also posting this 'issue' to a mass of millennials and ********** that may be a little 'worried' of the consequences, of having 3 pints with a baby in tow.

god give me strength.

Soldato
Forget the pub, you can basically narrow it down to 'should you drink alcohol whilst looking after a YOUNG child by yourself'.

Bit black and white no?

Should one get drunk while looking after a child? Probably not no.

Is a pint or a glass of wine okay? Yeah probably.

Go to a family pub and have a go at parents having a beer or a glass of wine with their meal, lol.

Man of Honour
Hmm maybe we actually do need to quote the OP after all? :p

I'd suggest it was pretty obvious I was responding to the thread title though

Bit black and white no?

Should one get drunk while looking after a child? Probably not no.

Is a pint or a glass of wine okay? Yeah probably.
I probably wouldn't. I'm not aware of a single person that doesn't become 'more clumsy' after a couple of drinks. My natural interpretation of 'drinking alcohol', especially at a pub, is having more than one drink. Heck, why would anyone go to the pub BY YOURSELF for ONE drink? I'm pretty sure almost nobody would? If you're saying go to the pub and have a quarter of a weak Malibu and coke... yeah that would probably be fine, I guess... :confused:

Maybe 90% black with a splash of grey? :p

It probably would be fine but I wouldn't risk it.

Soldato
Well, I think all this has started from misconceptions about pubs. Pubs are not only about going, drinking lots of booze and fighting/whatever. I don't think the person who suggested the pub in the first place was talking about going to an unsuitable pub.

There are really nice pubs out there that one could happily take your baby for a bit in the evening. I have landlord family who brough their own familiy up in their own establishment. I have other family who have a lovely country family pub that you could happily take your baby to in the evening. Have a bite to eat, run around in the beer garden, have a pint or a glass of wine and off they go again. (this actually happens!)

here is a link actually that says some things better than I...

http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Legal/Licensing-law/Legal-Q-A-Children-in-pubs
http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Legal/Licensing-law/Legal-Q-A-Children-in-pubs

Soundood has it right, its the same kinda thing with attitudes towards sex, and talking about sex... or not as the British seem not to... but then we have high teenage pregancy rates and boys treating girls like crap etc etc etc.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
I was talking to Nitefly...hence the quote? Why, what are you reading?

I'm reading your post and have highlighted the bits I'm talking about - I thought that was pretty clear, I did previously accuse you of deliberately misreading Nitefly's posts, which I quoted for you, but perhaps you genuinely have trouble reading things in context. He was quite specifically talking about the parent consuming alcohol (which is part of the thread title) and you made a whole post questioning the dangers of pubs thus completely missed the point.

Caporegime
OP
Well, I think all this has started from misconceptions about pubs.

no it hasn't - I don't have an issue with pubs in general, I do think it would be irresponsibly to take an 18 month infant there, by yourself, in the evening and have a few beers... please take note of the additional conditions/context

Back
Top Bottom