Poll: Taking an 18 month old baby to the pub, in the evening, by yourself and drinking alcohol?

Taking an 18 month old baby to the pub, in the evening, by yourself and drinking alcohol?

• Irresponsible

Votes: 284 65.6%
  • Perfectly fine

Votes: 94 21.7%
  • Pancakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Votes: 55 12.7%

• Total voters
Caporegime
OP
I'm sensing it is going to be very difficult to have a conversation with you Dowie.

Let's try strawman?

So - are you saying it is okay to take a baby to a pub in the evening as long as you do not drink at all?

No it is fairly simple actually - yes I think in the early evening that is fine.

That was a question you asked btw... not a straw man - a straw man is what you tried pulling earlier when quoting another poster and ranting about pubs in general when his argument was something different. i.e. you attacked something different to his position - thus the 'straw man'.

Soldato
Voted "Irresponsible"

I wouldn't drink if I was solely responsible for a baby (I.e. if no one else was with me).

Why bring a baby to a pub anyway? I hate seeing kids run around our local, let alone if a baby starts crying etc. :p

Soldato
Technically I'm attempting to get you to assert a proposition, so I can strawman it...

So, anyway...on with the show.

It is okay to take a baby to a pub and not drink... but it is okay to stay at home and have a drink? If it is not okay to take a baby to the pub and have a pint then it is not okay to stay at home with a baby and have a pint.

Soldato
Technically I'm attempting to get you to assert a proposition, so I can strawman it...

So, anyway...on with the show.

It is okay to take a baby to a pub and not drink... but it is okay to stay at home and have a drink? If it is not okay to take a baby to the pub and have a pint then it is not okay to stay at home with a baby and have a pint.

This is what I'm trying to figure out too. Do people just have a problem with the time and location (taking child to pub in the evening) or the activity (drinking while in charge of a child)?

I personally wouldn't normally go to a pub on my own, and so the specific question is not a situation I would likely find myself in. However, I have no issue with having a drink or two in the house while I'm on sole parenting duty and our daughter has also been to the pub many, many times before she was 18 months old (but it was usually in the afternoon).

Soldato
I suppose it all hinges on interpretation of 'having a drink'. I see it as just that, having A drink. One is fine, probably two for most people with any sort of tolerance to alcohol. At home or in a pub. You aren't going to significantly impair your ability to change a nappy or take them to A&E in a panic because they sneezed from having a glass of wine during the evening.

Having many drinks and getting drunk is a no go zone though if looking after kids.

Soldato
meh, i took my daughters to the local micro pub after we went into town to get some bits (walked) they were probably 8 months at the time and we just sat outside, ate some crispies with them,i had a beer and we left.

am i a bad parent?

edit this was at like 1pm in the afternoon on a Saturday. I certainly wouldnt do it at 7pm.

Soldato
meh, i took my daughters to the local micro pub after we went into town to get some bits (walked) they were probably 8 months at the time and we just sat outside, ate some crispies with them,i had a beer and we left.

am i a bad parent?
Put them up for adoption you monster

Caporegime
OP
This is what I'm trying to figure out too. Do people just have a problem with the time and location (taking child to pub in the evening) or the activity (drinking while in charge of a child)?

I guess it is a combination of things - having a few beers when alone poses a bigger risk than having a few when with a (sober) partner, doing so when out at a pub (in the evening) poses a bigger risk than doing so at home, doing so when the infant needs to be watched/looked after poses a bigger risk than doing so once the infant has been put to bed

Caporegime
OP
One is fine, probably two for most people with any sort of tolerance to alcohol. At home or in a pub. You aren't going to significantly impair your ability to change a nappy or take them to A&E

that is a common misconception - 'I've only had two, Ive got a good tolerance to alcohol, I'll be safe to drive...' - two pints can easily puts you over the limit regardless of your personal belief about your ability to handle your beers

Soldato
that is a common misconception - 'I've only had two, Ive got a good tolerance to alcohol, I'll be safe to drive...' - two pints can easily puts you over the limit regardless of your personal belief about your ability to handle your beers
Depends what you're drinking, a couple of 5.6% lagers, probably not, a couple of 3.5% ales with a meal and I would be surprised to see anyone over the limit.

Soldato
Many people don't own a car (especially in cities), so anyone without a driving license should never even consider having children just in case?

Back
Top Bottom