Talk to yourself 10 years ago

Soldato
"Hello mate, bloody hell I was slim then. Pretty dashing too, the beard is a good choice, you'll be tempted to shave it off a couple of times in the next decade, but don't!

So, you've just started college - IT, good call. You will be bored silly but stick with it will make some friends who you are still in touch with ten years from now. If nothing else, you wouldn't have met these guys in that tossy sixth form.

You WILL lose your virginity. But when the first opportunity comes up, knock her back, you know she's pretty ugly, and you don't like 'seafood' - so don't go there! Hold out just a bit longer and a hot goth girl with a thing for pvc will be along shortly ;)

You'll suddenly get into metal and rock and go clubbing every Friday night. Make the most of this, because those days don't last long enough and the feeling of being in a room with awesome music where you know everyone - doesn't come back.

Sadly, ten years from now - you will have never enjoyed your job. EXCEPT, that is for six months training where you will meet some amazing people and the love of your life. She's just what you need, as you'll experiences a couple of jealous, controlling, money grabbing beehatchs along the way.

Oh, and instead of having this nagging feeling at the back of your head for years, about doing your own thing, and trying comedy - Just do it when it feels right. You ass. We could've made it by now, and instead of sitting on Overclockers on a Tuesday night talking to my imaginary 16 year old self, I could be having sex with a couple of hot girls in a hot tub, before going on stage later to an audience of 4000. Pull your finger out, ffs!"

Associate
Don't play counter strike source, get out moar! Go and play hockey, you love the sport so go join a team and get really awesome at it. Buy as many shares in Google as you can as soon as you can. Learn German at school, that D looks **** next to the rest of your grades and take some night classes so your fluent, it will help you so much. Get with Holly, you find out later that she likes you but she was shy.
That would have changed my life for the better, about 100 million times better.

Soldato
Well I would have been just 13,,,,

"Give up learning the guitar, you'll never be able to play it. Chose PE instead of music in year nine. Try harder in school - but I know you won't. Don't worry about being short, you will have a growth spurt in the summer of yr11 and end up being nearly 6ft. When you take your driving test at 17, don't speed up over the limit when some idiot over-takes you, you will obviously fail. You pass 2 months later though and drive a fiesta for the next 2 years which is fun. Don't lose contact with long-time old friends, you will miss them. O, and that girl you meet at college work - well, I don't really know what to say except don't take it too seriously. One last thing, stop putting gel in you hair, it looks ridiculous"

Last edited:
Soldato
You'll have some good times, some bad times, and some absolutely epically awesome times, in part due to the bad times. So I won't warn you off, but say go with your instincts, don't lose who you are and start acting like a &^%$ and things will work out pretty good, and you'll have some frickin' sweet memories :D

Caporegime
10 years ago I was 27.

"The things that you currently think will make you happy are not really the ones that will. The things that will are those that you don't even consider or know about yet. Change can be a really, really good thing so be open to it, not closed like you can be now.

Dramas with the ladies are not confined to only you and no, you're not the only one who ever has or ever will feel so low sometimes. Listen to those people who say that time is a great healer; even though it's a terrible cliche, it's terribly true. Who knows - in a few years you might even meet someone truly special.

Oh, and lay off the booze a bit."

Man of Honour
"Do not stand at the top of the stairs when Hannah Gurdlestone flems down them in the English Block because you will get blamed for it and be made to do detention then your parents will think you're a bad student and ban your consoles for ages and that your record is "tarnished"

"Also, make more of an effort on Joanne Frost, ya jerk!"

Man of Honour
-Make an effort to keep in contact with that guy you were living with last year
-Over the next two years, you'll wonder if that game is worth messing up your degree for. It really is that good and you'll won't find such a natural high elsewhere in the next 10 years. No regrets.
-Start spectating some of the great players. You are living in the golden age, make the most of it.
-You won't progress in your career by being great at your job and working hard. Don't sell yourself short.
-You'll end up marrying a friend of a friend who turns her back on and ignores you in a vodka bar in about 5 years. If that can happen, there's a fair chance that some of the other girls who actually engage with you are interested, stop telling yourself they are not and making excuses!

Soldato
To a 12 year old me:

Start going to the gym: you'll be an addict in four years anyways and you'll save yourself grief.

Don't stop playing rugby: find a club near your next school and get someone to take you there for training.

Practice your instruments more: you have real talent and you'll miss not playing in ten years. Get guitar lessons as well because you'll want to play electric guitar. Go for that music scholarship: you'd have got it.

Put more effort into learning languages and take up Chinese and Russian when you are offered.

Do music A level.

Try harder with maths and do economics AS.

Believe in yourself and don't listen to the others. EVER.

If someone gives you a hard time knock them about or do something about it. Never be a doormat. Don't be overly polite like you are and will be. People will abuse your kind nature and generosity. Never be ashamed of who you are: in four years you'll begin to realise people are starting to see you for who you are.
Get on better with your brother as he'll be the catalyst for your greatest early experiences and you'll learn some really important things from him.
Go to music festivals and as many gigs as you can with your brother: you'll love each one and never forget them.

Think more carefully about your university choices.
Get as much work experience as you can.
Try getting a casual job?

When you get to uni get yourself out as much as possible in your first term. Don't just go with the nearest ones. Put yourself out there and try it on with more people. Maybe you'll surprise yourself.

One day a game named World of Warcraft will appear. Look but don't touch. Even if you enjoy it. Don't hang out with certain people near you. Don't copy their antics ever. Even though you'll have great times.

Try not to smoke, but do try and give up sooner.

+10 years worth of sports bets (when outsiders win) and lottery tickets and share tips.

You'll be loaded too btw.

GLHF

Back
Top Bottom