Tamiya 1/35 M792 Gama Goat Ambulance

Soldato
I've been bending my brain with a mostly scratch built post apocalypse diorama (still not quite finished), so I needed something straightforward to get my mojo back. What better than a little Tamiya kit!

There are a couple of figures to go with this, including a driver, hence the steering wheel isn't finished nor the canvas tops fully fitted, but hopefully I'll get to those when I'm more in the mood. The four colour woodland camo they are wearing will be a test!

I included the gun mount and ammo boxes, not normally fitted to the ambulance version according the blurb in the box, just to add a bit more detail.

As usual it was primed in Mr Surfacer black. The interior is Mr Color Olive Drab. The 4 exterior camo colours were mixed by eye to match the box art best I could, from my small selection of AK3 acrylics, making sure I used one of the colours (German Field Grey) in each mix, to keep them tonally similar. I airbrushed the whole thing in the sandy colour, then brush painted the camo. To further tie the colours together I speckled the whole thing with each of the 4 colours in turn, well thinned down, at low pressure through the AB, then mixed the two main colours together (again, well thinned) and sprayed that all over as a kind of filter. The canvas is a mixture of Khaki and dark green, to give something close to the Khaki Drab specified.

I finished off with a wash of Burnt Umber & black oils. It could stand more weathering, especially the inside & tyres, but for a quickie I'm happy enough.

And the red cross decals were probably the trickiest thing! One of them was completely obliterated in the application process so I had to mask & spray a replacement.

I'm only about 18 months into this model making hobby, so I've still got lots to learn, but I hope you like it.

Andy.

5kYbouY.jpg

1neYRJ3.jpg

23kvx5x.jpg

lrce2Mp.jpg

NW79Vsk.jpg

enmA3r9.jpg

RO42m36.jpg

LRKy1mm.jpg

KyLoF42.jpg

Soldato
I don't buy into woo-woo coincidental stuff... or at least I try not to. But this afternoon I stumbled upon a random tweet, via an artist I follow who retweeted something from a writer posting a photo of what she called a great bookshop, in Buxton.

To me though, that building is forever the childhood toy shop I gawped around for hours. Most of that gawping was done in their huge model section, and Tamiya is a name etched on my retinas even though I never had the money for their superb kits. And if I'm honest, I never really had the patience for that kind of modelling... my shelves were filled with cloudy Airfix canopies thanks to excess glue, and paint jobs that looked like clumsy clown makeup, not replicas of real aircraft.

Anyway, that's really nice work! I still have no idea why models are so alluring, but show me a miniature Panzer IV or Kubelwagen and something stirs. Scarred for life by a childhood of Victor, Warlord and The World at War on TV. Not sure about the fancy modern Vietnam era stuff, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. :)

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies chaps.

I rarely paint the figures that come with kits but thought I'd have a go with these. The 4 colour woodland camo was a bit of a challenge but I'm pretty happy with how they turned out. The faces need a lot more practice, but adequate for my first real attempt.

pdXgCry.jpg

4QGOv05.jpg

Back
Top Bottom