Tasteless advertising . . .

Soldato
I'm willing to accept that this isn't on any more. Current uni intake is far more socially aware than even us millennials.

But it sure does make me feel old. This would have all been part of the fun back when I started uni in 2000

Caporegime
Students don't go out drinking on weekends. You're describing the local flock of slags. Student nightlife is a hell of a lot tamer than what goes on at the weekend.
They do in Newcastle, seen them heading from the university student areas heading in to town on a week end.

most of the city centre is pretty much surrounded by student accommodation so it's not hard to tell

Soldato
What makes you think they don't know how the world really is?

What we see today in terms of anti victim blaming is a direct result of years and years of sexual assault victims being blamed for their assaults. I might be talking nonsense but I've never heard of a time when victims of theft were blamed for being robbed, you might get some helpful advice but never to the extent of the clothes you were wearing, the time you were out, how sober you were etc etc all being scrutinised.

Like a lot of recent 'movements' I think the shift has gone too far to the other side and never addressing the victims behaviour isn't always helpful (I read somewhere that rape victims who partly blame themselves recover better than those who don't at all). But if we're going to focus on the victim or the perpetrator I'd rather throw blame at the perpetrators and encourage more people to address the things that lead to people committing assault.

Insurance companies have blamed victims for years if the cause of their claim was negligence on their behalf. Leave keys in the car while it's defrosting and you're inside with a brew, it's your fault even if you are the victim. My mate was robbed in Ibiza, drunk and off the beaten track, mugged down an unlit road by 2 lads. "We'll look into it but you really shouldn't have been in that part of town at that time of night by yourself!". Wasn't there a case where an English guy or couple of guys were gunned down in a shady part of LA, lots of people at the time saying it was their own fault for being in that area.

For me, it's less about the blame game and more about everyone taking responsibility for their own actions and in some cases saying, "you know what, I didn't deserve to be attacked but getting so drunk I passed in the back of a taxi was some bad judgement on my part!"

I really struggle with rape scenes in films, it makes my skin crawl to the point I've fast-forwarded past them, it's a horrific crime whether it's males or females being attacked. I know a girl who claimed to be raped twice, both times after a night out where she was on alcohol, coke and god knows what else. She liked to party. I never said it to her but she made herself vulnerable, but also, how did she even know she was and hadn't done it willingly. I'd seen her come on to guys and have to memory of it at work the next day. People argue that if they are that drunk they can't make decisions properly, but that might not stop them. I'm sure we've all been hammered with our partners and gone at it, are we rapists because we were all so drunk we couldn't consent? And if being that drunk you can't consent to sex is a legal argument, why do we hold drink drivers to a higher standard? If you can't say yes to sex you certain can't make sensible decisions regarding getting behind a wheel.

It's such a sensitive topic, and I'm always happy to talk about it but you have to be so careful what you say as people get so defensive, they can't separate emotion from the discussion.

Another few years going down the current road and social services will be taking kids off parents for that, you're just scaring your children unnecessarily with your prejudicial stories of doom.... don't you know we live in some kind of utopia where nothing bad ever happens and if it does it's 100% not your fault? it's great being an adult 3 year old without a worry in the world. How dare you take your childrens innocence away and teach them about the harsh realities of life which will better prepare them for the future.

:D

Soldato
Lol. But also...yuk.

I'm willing to accept that this isn't on any more. Current uni intake is far more socially aware than even us millennials.

But it sure does make me feel old. This would have all been part of the fun back when I started uni in 2000

More like they have become totally humourless. Joining the whole "I'm offended" bandwaggon seems to be what gets you popular now.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Lol. But also...yuk.

More like they have become totally humourless. Joining the whole "I'm offended" bandwaggon seems to be what gets you popular now.

Nah it's just what doesn t get you thrown off the course because of complaints by the I'm offended lot

Soldato
It's in bad taste I'd say - potentially offensive to some but not sexual harassment.

This is student humour of the past IMO and even then it'd be pushing it. Someone didn't engage brain before designing that. :D

Man of Honour
People swallow toothpaste?

Completely off thread, but one of the more outlandish suggested ways of failing the medical for National Service in the late 50s, was swallowing toothpaste, it was claimed to show up as a spot on the lung when X-Rayed!
An absolute classic, right up there with drinking gin in a very hot bath to “bring on” a late period for girls.

Back
Top Bottom