Teacher's and arrogance ?

Soldato
OP
Make sure to quote the exact websites you were viewing at the time. Actually may wanna leave out the PH one and just link to the article :D

I think I am going to write down some of my points about the issue and give it to the main network admin.

I'm not going to twist the truth and leave out the PH moment though because this would make me no better than the teacher. I'm also not going to BS them and say I'm a perfect pupil etc, I've yet to meet a pupil who doesn't occasionaly flick to a different site for a couple of minutes during a lesson, if I'd been pulled up on this I'd happily leave it be, but this isn't the problem and I need to be as level with them as possible.

Soldato
Site #1 - Fine, teacher's a moron.

Site #2 - Fine, teacher's still a moron. It's exactly the same as if you were reading an article on the BBC site that was about hacking, "z0mg this student's learning how to be teh hax0rz!".

Basically, your teacher's a moron, just tell the higher-ups this and all will be well in the world. :)

Caporegime
Most schools have an access policy that states it should only be used for work related research and material. So even though you were browsing during your break, they can always resort to the policy agreement.

Associate
S
If you were a teacher and saw someone on this things how would you react?

Am a ICT teacher in a secondary school. If you were looking at the sites when you should have been working, I would close the window and tell you not to load it again. If you carried on, I'd block your access to the Internet for that lesson, unless it was required, then I'd block the sites. Not because of the content, but because I'd want you working.

If you were having a break, then it wouldn't bother me.

Site #1 - everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I'd probably start a conversation wondering where you stood and what your opinion was, out of interest.

Site #2 - if you were tech savy enough to a) use bit torrent and b) understand the implications of downloading illegally, I'd be pleased that you were skilled in ICT and probably stick you on the G&T register.

Thats my two cents.

Soldato
Damn, your college seems pretty strict :eek:

We're always browsing dodgy websites and never had a problem.

The teachers know we're on target with our work, so they don't really mind us messing about on the internet.

Soldato
Most schools have an access policy that states it should only be used for work related research and material. So even though you were browsing during your break, they can always resort to the policy agreement.

This. I'm a trainee ICT teacher and the internet is the bane of my life. We have no control software currently so I can't ban access in the lessons so I spend more time dealing with kids using the internet than I do teaching it seems. It really winds teachers up when students are on the internet.

In the OPs case it does seem a little harsh but it's quite possible the teacher had got fed up with students browsing the internet in lesson and you got picked on even if it was in a designated time for personal use. State your case and you'll probably be fine, but the school might choose to make an example of you if their policy will support them on it.

Soldato
When managing school net access for a few schools the one page I ensured was never blocked was ratemyteacher. :p

I used common sense when blocking access, teachers didn't have a say in it - only requests from the HT and my line manager were ever implemented. I wouldn't have blocked anything the OP posted.

Man of Honour
The teachers know we're on target with our work, so they don't really mind us messing about on the internet.

Hehehe...if the teachers are anything like many that I encounter in work, they themselves will be spending a fair whack of time on facebook and youtube :)

Associate
Damn, your college seems pretty strict :eek:

No more strict than the next. One of my mates got his account suspended for browsing lamebook, and another got warned for browsing Overclockers (not the forum, but the actual site :eek:). The worst thing about it, though, was that, like the OP, it was during a break, and most teachers let us do pretty much what we please (within reason) during breaks.

Associate
I use proxys and
This:
privw.jpg

((Img of Sawell))

But our IT system, although a 'Technology School', is still rubbish, and, with a little intelect and nerding you can even get around the web/email block if your account is blocked.

Back
Top Bottom