Teamviewer - Privacy

Soldato
I'm looking at using Teamviewer to remote into my Home PC while I'm in work.

I may use it to set off rendering, set off new downloads, just general stuff I'd potentially be doing if I was at home.

However, I'd rather not do this if there were potential eyes on from the network team, nothing worse than having someone looking over your shoulder when you're going through your PC files.

Are Teamviewer sessions end to end encrypted?

I was booted off Teamviewer 'free' for using it too much.
It's your typical 'give you a taste of the good stuff, then take the bottle away' type service lol.

The connection may be encrypted end to end but they are brokering that connection through their servers.
So you only have thier word for how much visibility and monitoring they actually have on that connection.

I would imagine they are logging things like connection start, duration and end time.
IP and MAC addresses, traffic transferred, they probably even know what Teamviewer client commands are being issued.
But I think there would be a uproar if they were found to have the ability to exactly ease drop on the session though.

That aside Teamviewer is pretty darn expensive!
Anydesk is a very good alternative and far cheaper.

That is what I use now.

I also use Radmin which is 100% 1to1 direct, no piggy in the middle.
But that needs port forwarding rules in place as it does not run over commonly open ports.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
As usual, I just needed to look closer at their official site to get the answer i need. Whoops!

I will take a look at the alternatives. I did the usual "Best RDP software" search in Google. So I suppose that's why Teamviewer was my first choice, logmein being second, They're the most well known to me already without a search.

Thanks for that guys!

Associate
Think I have a licence for Radmin, last used it about 10 years ago. Might give it another try as I have found TeamViewer is unable to render firefox if hardware acceleration is enabled.

Soldato
vnc , too ?

we have a guest network at work, which you can connect personal devices too, and you wouldn't be allowed to put/use a rdp type client on company hardware for non work related activity, firewall would pick it up too;
equally you'd obviously get fired if you were using guest resources to orchestrate questionable downloads. ... so check the IT rules.

Associate
I would assume that the network team would be able to view your screen as I remember class admins doing that for fun in high school.

Soldato
I'm looking at using Teamviewer to remote into my Home PC while I'm in work.

I may use it to set off rendering, set off new downloads, just general stuff I'd potentially be doing if I was at home.

However, I'd rather not do this if there were potential eyes on from the network team, nothing worse than having someone looking over your shoulder when you're going through your PC files.

I use Chrome Remote Desktop to connect to my home PC from the office - works a treat.

Caporegime
Teamviewer is another of those apps which were great for a while and just got terrible. Constant freezes and non connections, and like others I have been flagged for commercial use for constantly connecting to my PC downstairs because I am too lazy :o:p.

Off to try Trustviewer.

Associate
Teamviewer is another of those apps which were great for a while and just got terrible. Constant freezes and non connections, and like others I have been flagged for commercial use for constantly connecting to my PC downstairs because I am too lazy :o:p.

I use teamviewer at work multiple times per day and never experience any problems. Although we do have a corporate license...

Caporegime
Oh yeah I am sure usage may vary but it's been a good year or more of increasingly worse service for me. Its a shame as once connected I still find it better than others so far.

Soldato
if you're worried about the network admins have you even asked if you're allowed?

You can teamviewer in from your mobile to your PC, I've done it a few times at a pinch and no issues there with work-related rules regarding personal use.

Soldato
Well TeamViewer support got back me with a less than charming repsonse.
Dear TeamViewer User,

Thank you for your request regarding being unblocked from using the free version of TeamViewer. After reviewing the information provided to us, we were unable to confirm that the submitted ID is being used privately.

Requiring commercial users to purchase a license is also part of our effort to maintain the free version, and to therefore make help accessible to everyone. The free version is for people who are using it to help family and friends.

To continue using TeamViewer, there are two options for you to consider:

1) We encourage you to purchase a license that fits your needs: https://www.teamviewer.com/pricing

If you need help finding the perfect license, we will be happy to assist you personally:
+44 20 809 97265

2) THIS FORM (link removed for this post) is a declaration of private use that needs to be printed, signed personally and sent back to us at the following email address [email protected].

When you return this to us, we will review your response confirming your declaration of private use and use this to determine whether we can re-enable your use of TeamViewer.

For more information regarding the commercial use of the free version of TeamViewer, please refer to our community statement: https://community.teamviewer.com/t5...e-suspected-Commercial-use-detected/ta-p/5265

If you are not sure whether you are using TeamViewer commercially,
please give us a call: +44 20 809 97265 .

We are looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,
Your TeamViewer Team
I've uploaded the PDF form they want me to complete here, if anybody else wants to download and complete it to save time, while waiting for their response. Basically the form asks for your name, address and signature.

Back
Top Bottom