Tech Project Update!

Soldato
OP
Well, dont want this thread to get pruned...

A little update...

Have ordered the Carbon Fibre Vinyl as i have been told it will stick to the plywood..

£45 worth :eek: thats how big the case is lol!

Have got the other side fixed on now... and the PSU switch and socket is mounted onto the back..

Heres what i have left to do

1. Cut out slots for CD/FDD drives
2. Glue and screw the sides on.
3. Fill gaps with wood filler.
4. Make/Find legs for it to stand up.
5. Fix the legs securely.
6. Cover in Carbon Fibre Vinyl.
7. Cut out Side circular window.
8. Fix acrylic inside the window.
9. Somehow work a way to secure the 12mm plywood side, maybe some latches.
10. Collapse with tiredness!!

All in 2 weeks, wish me luck, its gonna be madness.. Will try and get some good pics tomorrow though :)

Thanks for looking,
Mark

Soldato
That looks great! :) Is it a Resistant Materials GCSE?

Last year I made an automatic fan controller for my Systems and Control project, looks like the thread has been pruned though:(.
Here's what it looked like:

dsc012238og.jpg

Got me an A, and worked perfectly:). I'm sure yours will be even better!

Soldato
OP
p4radox said:
That looks great! :) Is it a Resistant Materials GCSE?

Yes, its resistant materials. Wasn't enough people to do electronics :(

What u've made looks pretty good though, as really i would be happy with an A :)

Mark

Soldato
Just to note, I posted asking for this to be archieved not pruned about a week ago :p

Hope to see the pics!

Just two questions though, would the case in event of component failure be a fire risk? Also does the motherboard still get grounded properly through the risers?

If you have to make a project folder to go with it, may I suggest that you do a survey and mention its of high end computer users, I for one would happily complete it :)

Associate
MarkLP said:
Have ordered the Carbon Fibre Vinyl as i have been told it will stick to the plywood..

£45 worth :eek: thats how big the case is lol!

I really hope it does mate thats a lot of money to be screwed up in a ball on the floor, who said it would stick to the plywood (i'm hoping you got if from a signshop or manufacturer and they told you that so you have some come back if/WHEN it doesn't stick)

Sorry to be negative/weary about it but i am a signmaker by trade, and direct to ply with no paint varnish is a big NO NO

Soldato
OP
Yewen said:
Just to note, I posted asking for this to be archieved not pruned about a week ago :p

Thankyou

Yewen said:
Hope to see the pics!

Will be uploaded when i get home from school :)

Yewen said:
Just two questions though, would the case in event of component failure be a fire risk? Also does the motherboard still get grounded properly through the risers?

Well, really, any case carries a fire hazard. I know what you're saying though, as its wood it will carry a higher risk but could always incorporate a fire alarm in the case somewhere :p

Im a tad unsure of this, but i still have the risers between the wood and the motherboard if that is what you mean? Or does it still have to me grounded against metal or something?

Yewen said:
If you have to make a project folder to go with it, may I suggest that you do a survey and mention its of high end computer users, I for one would happily complete it :)

Good idea!! Thanks, only thing is im not sure what I could include in the survey? Do you like this case? lol!

Harib0 said:
I really hope it does mate thats a lot of money to be screwed up in a ball on the floor, who said it would stick to the plywood (i'm hoping you got if from a signshop or manufacturer and they told you that so you have some come back if/WHEN it doesn't stick)

Sorry to be negative/weary about it but i am a signmaker by trade, and direct to ply with no paint varnish is a big NO NO

m+d are friends with a signmaker and he said it should stick to the plywood. I will make it stick one way or another!! If for some reason everything I try does not work, I can always sell it on, sure some boy racers might want it! lol or some people on here :) (not trying to sell out of mm lol)

Thanks for all your input though, it really is appreciated,

Mark

Soldato
Erm one thing I HIGHLY recommend you do if you can, just from a making the PC functional like a normal one, run a piece of wire from the motherboard riser to the psu's casing, as some motherboards and PSU's need this to work properly, tagans have a seperate cable for it though.

Just worth doing, and can mention it as a design modification in your tech folder for brownie points ;)

It is not helping with homework if people want to do it with regards to the survey. :D

Soldato
There are forum memebers who sell new fans very cheap and second hand ones cheap cheap too ;)

Just wonder who they could be :confused:

If you google for the effects of a non earthed motherboard in google, or words to that effect you will be quite surprised, for the time of a length of wire from a riser to the psu it is well worth it. Did not realise how bad it could go in a cheap psu without it :eek:

I can't link it due to swearies sadly, so search at your own risk.

Soldato
MarkLP said:
Yes, its resistant materials. Wasn't enough people to do electronics :(

Yeah I never understood that. There was only just enough signed up to do our course. Why would people rather saw wood than get down and dirty with a soldering iron? :(

Soldato
I got to do that in systems and control, and stick a cuddly monkey into the lathe / shoot chunks of wood around the classroom while the teacher was out to get the job done in 2 mins rather than 2 hours :p

Systems and control ruled, I have some video's of the lessons filmed in secret through the pencil case cam :p

Available from some webspace but I can not post them due to a couple of bad comments from other students :(

Soldato
OP
Looking to use some 120mm fans, 120mm grills ( of course) and also a set of cathodes!

Only had a single lesson today so couldnt do much, only had time to cut the holes for the CD/FD drive. Didnt even have time to sand or file the edges so ignore the rough bits please!!

So onto the pics!!

Here you can see the shape and everything as it will look when its finished. Ignore the side panel, it looks like its doesnt fit properly its only because I didn't put it on properly! lol

d+t%20001%20(Medium).jpg

This is the top side, you can see what i have had to do for both sides!!

d+t%20004%20(Medium).jpg

Here you can see it with the side off!

d+t%20006%20(Medium).jpg

And heres the place where the front panel and the back panel meet, not bad if I say so myself!!

d+t%20014%20(Medium).jpg

Soldato
One little idea, how about some rubber edging around it all once you have finnished the wood, would make the lines much much cleaner than anything you can do at school and is a bit of a modding trick ;)

Soldato
OP
Its a possibility, but at the moment i don't have the money nor the time, if I get it finished with time left then I could think about doing that :)

Thanks,
Mark

Back
Top Bottom